moobrack

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we've just started calling our club a school. quite frankly, it makes no difference to what goes on, but i suppose it's percieved as being a big "institution" by potential customers when advertised as a school.

I suppose calling it a school makes it more of an educational establishment rather than just a place people turn up when they feel like it as some of my students do, (they shall remain nameless here as I know they are reading but if you get a feeling of dread then you know its you).

I believe that as an instructor we are there to educate our STUDENTS in moral and ethical life skills as well as the fighting skills that are really a secondry effect of our training.

All instructors must believe in themselves to get the best out of our students. If a school teacher did not care if students attended class all our educational establishments would be empty.

Kickchick what school do you teach at in the USA and do they use student billing?

We have just introduced this system in our schools and find our student attendence as improved.

Steve Leak

karateronin is the Chief Instructor of Karate International Black Belt Schools UK.

I teach at a privately owned school which does use student billing....I'm not involved in that but we do monitor class attendance with a membership card that the student uses to "scan" when he enters the school and it is logged onto the computer. It also notifys the student when he is due for a stripe(piece of tape on belt)...(we give them to students for every 10 lessons) it does boost the students attendance also. When they reach the required stripes they are ready to pre-test wherein the chief instr. will fill out a form that shows the student what he needs to work on before he does test.

Deby :karate:

in response to the school vs the club:

i feel that the use of the word club is a more friendly, funner and personal in meaning than the word school, that could be interpreted as more professional, and business like but could be more impersonal.

therefore i understand how a club may want to change it's name to school to increase enrollment. moreover, we all know how increase enrollment is the life's blood of business survival.

just rushman's humble opinion.

:nod:

rushman (taekwondo moderator)

3rd dan

wtf/kukkiwon

florida

This Message was edited by: iamrushman on Aug 17, 2001 3:56pm

rushman (karate forums sensei)

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

"saying nothing...sometimes says the most"--e. dickerson

oh; i forgot to mention that i personally prefer the club funner, close net, and more family type atmosphere. :nod:

rushman (karate forums sensei)

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

"saying nothing...sometimes says the most"--e. dickerson

The place I train at currently is called a fight gym. Personally I think it's getting old. They train just like competition fighters.. very few technique drilled over, and over, and over again. While this is great for the ring, it's not good for self-defense as far as other things that may occur, weapons and multiple opponents. Oh well, I guess going to a great Academy of martial arts then moving locations to a "gym" has a small price. But I hated Virginia!! LOL.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

I am a member of sensei leak's club, or school if that is what you call it, I enjoy going there because, I started training because i thought it would be fun, although i was right , it is alot of fun, karate now means more to me, it is my way of life now.

just as a school does, it has provided me with more dicipline and understanding of different ways of life.

Sensei Leak's club is full of energy, and that is what i like, if a club was dull and lifeless, where there was no sound or fun, as we sometimes have a few games, and groundfighting, point: if there was no energy or fun in a place, i would not go. I go to karate every chance i get, Bramley AND Redhall. I love it, karate is now a part of me

Angela, 7th kyu, yellow belt:angel:

Angela Winter

orange belt, shotokan karate

Karate International Black Belt Schools UK

NEVER BE INTIMIDATED, NEVER GIVE UP NEVER BE DEFEATED.

you are what you are.

The "school" :grin: that I attend is great.

Even though it is a large school, the staff are very personable and they know everyone by name. The instruction is excellent and the training is rough in the advanced classes.

The family atmosphere is amazing!! I would do almost anything for other members or the instructors.

My sensei is a great educator, martial artist, and fighter. He's also a shrewd businessman.

He has a good thing going on here. I'm glad to be a part of it :smile: