• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Any legitimate concerns about weight training barefoot?

todome

I prefer to do most of my weight training barefoot. I'm convinced it makes for better form. fwiw, I do wear sandals while I'm making my way around.

I had one of the health club's consultants giving me a hassle about my doing squats barefoot yesterday (I was tempted to call him "Son"). He told me it was against the rules because being barefoot was as safety issue. I told him dropping weights on my foot doesn't get any easier to take just by wearing sneakers. Then he told me it was hygiene. I told him my foot was a hell of a lot cleaner than the barbells (learned that one raising toddlers).

Frankly, I think he was making the whole thing up since the "rule" isn't written down anywhere but that's nothing a quick call to the office won't clear up.

Anyone know of any REAL benefits to wearing something on your feet while weight training? Traction, maybe, but I don't do that sort of work in the weight room. Anyone?

we all have our moments

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have problems with my knees and my doctor said that wearing a GOOD shoe, even while at home after work is important for proper arch support. He said the support a good shoe gives you extends through your knees and hips.

Well that's the thing. Having no particular orthotic concerns, I'd rather train to bare feet while I still can. I don't need the shoes and am sure wearing them will just get me used to it and will totally shortcut carry-over to the karate floor.

I'm three emails in with the director of operations and finally got to asking him why their requiring "proper athletic shoes" means bare feet are improper.

Bit of a lag. Maybe he's on lunch.

ON EDIT: yup. safety and hygiene. oh well. no point arguing with him.

we all have our moments

I don't know of any biomedical concerns, but then again, it's not my field of expertise either. I've occassionally done circuits with out them at my place simply because I was doing drills on the mat as well.

But that's in my basement.

I can see the gym operators perspective from here as well. All sorts of fungal and backterial stuff gets transported around on peoples feet. I'd be a bit put off if someone I didn't know marched around on the station I was about to use without shoes on just for that reason.

The materail that bars, plates, ect are made out of is less conducive to growing ick than feet.

What if everyone or even a few started doing it? Are you going to want to walk up on a station that some random dude sust stomped around on with his bare, sweat generating feet?

No thanks.

Yeah. The more I think about it the more hygiene angle makes sense. I have to stop assuming everyone in the club has the same habits as the average karateka and picture some hobbit fresh from the fields with with yellow toenails no less standing at the squat rack doing curls.

Found some spiffy Chuck Taylor's on sale so I'm good to go but damn, my tote bag is getting big.

we all have our moments

Yeah. I picked up a pair of Chuck Taylors yesterday. They're ok, but its definitely not as good as barefeet.

I'm still not sold on the whole hygiene argument. I don't see what's so challenging about expecting people to stay off the floor with skanky feet. There's minimum standards for footwear anyways

we all have our moments

Interesting comments.

All i can contribute is that Mens Health Australia ran an article on this not too long ago, and basically conveyed that it was more beneficial to do free weights without shoes on, as it enables more foot and calf muscles building greater stability.....

I dont do weights so I cant confirm or deny.

Osu.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

hey thanks for the reference. I'll keep an eye out for it.

I can tell you that for me personally with and without shoes is like night and day but of course I'm more accustomed to working with bare feet than most people. It's a pity the club can't accomodate me but so be it. I'm there 8 times a week I probably get my money's worth in shower water alone. :lol:

we all have our moments

I was having this discussion with someone yesterday.

I've been going to my gym for years, mostly to use the cardio equipment. I always carried a pair of shoes to run in AND a pair to lift weights in. Carrying 2 pairs of shoes is a hassle but I was spending a lot of $$$ on running shoes and I didn't want to prematurely blow the soles out so it seemed like necessary evil.

When I started martial arts training I started to workout in my basement more. I usually mix weight lifting with practicing kicks on my bag. For example, I like to lift "something" for 10 reps, 30 sec rest, 10 kicks on each leg, 30 sec rest, then back to lifting = 1 set. I find that 3 or 4 sets like this get my muscles fatigued and my heart pounding. Well the unexpected result of training like this is that I hate wearing shoes to workout now! Again, I'm in my basement so I have the luxury of being shoeless, but when I'm doing clean-n-jerks barefoot I feel a lot more stable than doing them with shoes on.

I have to agree with others on the hygiene thing. From what I see, its hard enough for some people to wipe a machine down when they are done... I can't image what their personal hygiene is like! :lol: