• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Villari's Self Defense Centers

Was mattera a partner with villari or just a top instructor?

Do you know when they started calling it shaolin kempo?

Do you know what happened to rudy horn?

Here's some history, from what I can remember, and I dug up my old rank certificates, which may help establish when some "events" occurred.

First, I misstated when I started in martial arts. I might have said 1977, but it was actually earlier - 1975.

I found some of my old certificates of rank, which provide some answers that my memory does not. They give a better clue as to when the name changed from USSD to Villari's and the style went from being called Kenpo to Shaolin Kempo.

I received my 2nd degree brown rank in November 1979. That certificate says United Studios of Self Defense - Kenpo Karate. I earned 1st degree brown in April 1980. THAT certificate says USSD, but now SHAOLIN KEMPO. So the style name change occurred in early 1980

I made 1st degree black belt in December 1980. The certificate still reads United Studios. But, my certificate for 2nd degree black is from Fred Villari's. Not real specific, but the change in name apparently occurred in 1981 or 1982.

From the time I started, Villari was the guy running the system. I don't know when I first heard Mattera's name, but if he (or anyone else) was a partner, it wasn't visible to anyone. In the beginning, we would start classes bowing to pictures of "the masters". There was one of Villari, and one of William Chow. Eventually, Chow's picture was gone. If Mattera was partner, it was not obvious. I find it interesting to read stuff about Villari and Cerio being partners. I'd never heard of Cerio until I started reading these forums recently.

I've not heard the name Rudy Horn. That doesn't mean much, as I was not a dojo owner. I was mainly just a student. But I was around for quite a few years, and remember a few names of the "big names" in the organization. Some of the folks who were prominent in the organization when I was there are on my rank certificates.

Most of my early certificates have a signature (a reproduction on the pre-black belt ones) by Villari as "President", and are hand-signed by Art Singer, as "Director". A couple are signed by Gerald Swanson, as "Director".

I may have heard his name before this, but Mattera first appears on my rank certificates when I got to black. Both black belt certificates are signed by Villari as "Grandmaster 10th Degree Black Belt" and "Chairman of the Promotion Board". My 1st degree certificate is signed by Lawrence Mangone - 5th degree, as "Director". It is also signed by Charles Mattera - 6th degree, as "Senior Instructor". Also signed by a 3rd degree "Witness", though I can't quite make out the name.

My 2nd degree black certificate is signed again by Villari, Fred Bagley - 6th Dan as "Director", and again by Mattera - 6th Dan as "Senior Instructor". It is also witnessed by John Fritz - 5th Dan.

About the only other thing I can say about Mattera back then is we all heard he drove a Maserati.

Hope this "history" is of some interest...

So fred bagley was ahead of mattera? DId bagley pass mattera in rank?

• 3 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, you guys sure do know a lot about about the Villari system!

I studied with Armen Heroian for almost two years, during my mid teen years. I think I started in 2000. He IS pretty dedicated, and it made me idolize him, I tried so hard to be like him. I made it to green/brown stripe, but unfortunately I had to drop out of the class because I had gotten pregnant with my first born. I had planned to return after recovering, but I ended up moving to Sacramento.

Do you guys know if they'll spread up to Northern California? I tried looking for something similar up here and couldn't find anything. I tried taking Taekwondo, but after studying with Master Heroian, Taekwondo seemed very much like nothing. I was forced to drop martial arts entirely and pick up bellydance.

I'll make you eat dirt!

Wow, you guys sure do know a lot about about the Villari system!

I studied with Armen Heroian for almost two years, during my mid teen years. I think I started in 2000. He IS pretty dedicated, and it made me idolize him, I tried so hard to be like him. I made it to green/brown stripe, but unfortunately I had to drop out of the class because I had gotten pregnant with my first born. I had planned to return after recovering, but I ended up moving to Sacramento.

Do you guys know if they'll spread up to Northern California? I tried looking for something similar up here and couldn't find anything. I tried taking Taekwondo, but after studying with Master Heroian, Taekwondo seemed very much like nothing. I was forced to drop martial arts entirely and pick up bellydance.

Wellcome to the forum nasraani,

One of my friends studys with grand master heroian. He was just promoted to 9th degree by grand master friend villari.

I hear they are planing a big expansion in california so I give grand master armen a call.

Best of luck to you. :D

I started under Vallari's schools and then went with Masters Self Defence Centers when that group split away. Even that group has widdled down to just a few schools, with all the others going off and doing their own thing or joining together in little bands of 2-3 schools.

As for the quality... it all depends on the instructors. While some from Vallari's were only concerned about being high rank and seemed very McDojo-ish, others were very competant. I was alot younger then but from what Ive heard there was alot of the head instructors playing politics which messed alot of things up. Once some of the schools broke away and didnt have to deal with it, they seemed to improve.

I think what you are seeing now is a more independent Villari's school with more quality control. The others split or just couldn't make it. So your last sentence is correct IMO.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

• 1 year later...
yeah you have to buy all martial arts supplys from bushido gi's belts , patchs, shirts ext.. I am pretty sure mattera isnt hurting for money considering he drives a lamborghini. I heard a lot matteras schools pay the instructors 1099s is this true? I thought all schools have set hours?

Yes, and I am on the web to see if this is really legal. I have read one case where a very similar type business paying 1099 earnings had this teacher who applied for unemployment and since her earnings were too low she included the 1099 earnings and a suit followed. The IRS concluded that it was wages not 1099 earnings and the Karate studio had to pay all the back taxes for all employees for 5 years plus penalties. If USSD gets caught or if someone sues, the dojo may be in financial straits{the independent contractor contract did not hold up in court}.