• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Villari's Self Defense Centers

Hello all.

I've been training at a Fred Villari School of Self Defense now for a few months (it's a chain of schools), and it's been very informative and enjoyable.

I just wanted to ask if anyone knows about or has had any experience with their system, and if they've got any comments that they'd be willing to share.

Thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanted to say I have never heard of Villari's. Where might you be from? I go to an okinwan dojo that practices selfdefense quite a bit. Our grand master is Fusei Kise. Have you heard of him?

It's what you put into it...

1st kyu-Okinawa Shorin Ryu Matsumura Seito Federation

Hi.

My Kempo teachers are from Villari's. Sensei Jerry and Nancy are great people with great skill. It is a good style. I have probably said this as many times as I have posted, but it all depends on your teacher.

There were quite a few Villari Centers in New England. At one time, there was a split with some of the higher ups that broke off and started another popular chain called "United Studios." Another chain of schools that came from the split was the "Masters Self Defense Centers"

If you want the low down on that line of kempo, check out Mark Urbin's Page. He's got alot of Kempo/Kenpo info and he's a real nice guy.

http://www.urbin.net/EWW/MA/KF/

Take care. :smile:

Chris LaCava

Jung Ki Kwan of Connecticut

"Man is born soft and supple,

in death he is hard and rigid..." LaoTzu

The lowdown on Villaris is that many people see them as a McDojo. In some cases that may be true but in others it isn't. What happened with Villaris is that he was to open a dojo with Professor Nick Cerio. They planned everything together and when Nick Cerio was away Villari went ahead with the chain under his own name. This caused some problems. Villari opened many schools in a very short time frame and some of those schools were run by inexperienced instructors. This gave the school a bed reputation. During this period many Fred Villari blackbelts switched over to Nick Cerio under United Studios.

Not all the Villari schools are bad as I'd say the majority of them are quite decent. It all depends on the instructor and the way he or she teaches. I started with Villaris many years ago. I switched from 4 different Villari schools and had good and bad experiences. My impressions of the system is that it isn't bad but isn't great!!! I finally got frustrated at the politics within the schools that I switched to Tae Kwon Do and then to Rocky DiRicos Kenpo which is a Nick Cerios based Kenpo.

Good luck,

Pete

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
I was an asst instructor at a Villaris school in WI 9 or so years ago until I felt like it got way too commercialized. The "McDojo" example above hits it right on the head. The way I was taught and rose through ranks didn't make me feel very confident in my abilities. I haven't had much experience with other styles or schools, but it seemed like as long as you paid the money and put in your time, you got promoted.

But, we are a mobile society (witness Pete) prone to travel and change at least here in the States.

Which, is one of the secrets to Franchise success. You KNOW what you're getting at McDonalds whether it be New York, Kansas City, or Fuzhou. That appeals to a lot of poeple, especially parents, who want the best and most up-and-up of whatever they get for their children.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

• 1 month later...
The thing about Villaris studios is that they can be franchised without any creative control from villari. So some people are good, some are bad, but it is based on the individual teacher, since there there isnt one person controlling everything.

If my survival means your total destruction, then so be it.

I guess it all depends on who is running the school. The school that I attend is not too commercial. There are no contracts and there is no pressure (I was asked to watch at least two classes before I could sign up). Once you start training, you stay at your rank until you are ready to test. There is no "three month rule". It could be one month or one year between belts and it really depends on the student and level of commitment. The classes that I attend are very small ( four to 10 people on average) and the majority of instruction is done by instructors that have 12 or more years in the system. Urbin has a good site and shows how the system evolved from Hawaii, Cerio, and New England and how it has grown through many off-shoots. Oh, my favorite thing is that "Shoalin Kempo" is a very complete system and includes felling and grappling. My previous experience is not looked down upon and has been of great value in learning the system (I was a brown belt in college and have had some wrestling experience.) Anyway, I have had a great experience with Villari's.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

• 1 month later...