• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Lateral Speed training/exercises

TheHighlander

Looking for exercises to increase my lateral speed - moving to side to evade an attack, moving at angle to outmaneuver an opponent.

I know that plyometrics are good for this, but most exercises I find are geared towards increasing vertical jump, not necessarily lateral movement.

What are some exercises that you use in your training?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shadow Boxing if your on your own

Sparring Drills. Gear up and agree to only work on your lateral movement your opponent is thus only allowed to attack straight.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

Great sparring drill we use:

Stand with your back close to a wall (a couple of feet away maybe) and have it so that someone is constantly attacking you, either one person or rotating a group so that the attacker is always fresh. Can't move back because you'll hit the wall so you have to move off to the side.

Aside from that other drills are to just practise dodging and slipping on your own or against pre-defined attacks.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Great sparring drill we use:

Stand with your back close to a wall (a couple of feet away maybe) and have it so that someone is constantly attacking you, either one person or rotating a group so that the attacker is always fresh. Can't move back because you'll hit the wall so you have to move off to the side.

My sensei told me that we will be doing this drill (3-on-1) tonight!