• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Japanese Martial Arts

Karate was remained outlawed for awhile because of the meiji period so... explains why its not considerd full fledged martial art at the time but now it is one because its not okinawan it japanese becuase karate its self isnt a style, first styles were names after cities they wer practiced in, okinawa te,shuri te, naha te... get the point. It was a chinese art first and thanks to funakoshi he made it a Japanese art. Read "Karate Do; My way of Life" it has the information im telling you guys so im not lieing its A japanese martial art and it is practiced in there military, it is part of their culture and significant hitorical value and japanese pride that so it will be in there military no matter what you tell me.

Karate Do is still to this day not considered an Martial Art. They may use some striking principles but it is not considered a martial art. When you enlist in the Japanese Army they dont say to you "Karate is the martial art of Japan". Te (Karate in its old form) was used for the Ryu Kyu Army.

I am aware of "My way of life"...Also with "Karate Kyumon" and "Karate Do Nyumon".

Funakoshi Sensei was a physical Education teacher, not a military teacher. He taught for the school not the military. He brought it over to Japan to popularize it. But it was never used fully in the military, therefore it is not a martial art.

"Kara Te Do" Is the popular term for empty hand styles. Its better than walking around saying "I practice kaishu". Although if your meibukan styled than you have your own Kata section to choose from.

regardless of what YOU think or I think...Karate Is not a military art. If it were dont you think we would call it "Te Jutsu"?

I will only believe that Karate is a martial art if you show me military training video, such as the United States so gratefully shows their krav maga demonstrations.

I know people who are in the Japanese Military and they have confirmed that Karate is not used as a martial art.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Judo modern to an extent. Judo was around in the 1920's or so Im led to believe (Which does not classify to be modern to me...anything after 1950 I believe is modern). Funakoshi Sensei adopted the belt colorings from Jiigaro Kano...and alot of people do not know that classical Karate ka did not wear the keikogi known as gi for karate training. IT was ALSO adopted from Judo.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, Karate-Do is a way for me to attain personal knowledge; betterment of myself, not just studying how to fight. Karate made its transition from jutsu to do somewhere around the beginning of the 20th century. Still, I guess I'm a romantic at heart, and in that, I practice the jutsu while I balance it with the do. I believe that they [jutsu/do] can be practiced at the same time; side by side.

For me, to not train both to be in concert with one another is like having my body walking down the street without my heart.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!