• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Japanese Martial Arts

There are seven martial arts - military arts -

The seven classical martial arts are wrestling,

running, javelin (spear) throwing, archery, swordsmanship, swimming, and

horseback riding. These are the arts of military training for the typical

Japanese soldier in the feudal era. Karate was and is still not one of

them. Although they use some selected techniques set forth by the JKA...but not enough to consider it a full fledged martial art.

Just Though I would share this with you wonderful people.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah because Karate is Okinawan and not Japanese?

"The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilised community , against his will, is to prevent harm to others" (J.S Mill, On Liberty; 135)

Melee spear fighting was more of a extra curriculum perse. It was common that many people could wield a spear in close ranges, better then they could throw. But throwing it was the art part.

And yes Kara Te Do is okinawan. It was publicized in Japan by Funakoshi Gichin. I am sure it was there before he was, but he just made it popular..

And Yes Sensei8...go figure...Michael Phelps is a martial artist.

Melee spear fighting was more of a extra curriculum perse. It was common that many people could wield a spear in close ranges, better then they could throw. But throwing it was the art part.

And yes Kara Te Do is okinawan. It was publicized in Japan by Funakoshi Gichin. I am sure it was there before he was, but he just made it popular..

I am not certain that it was. I believe that it had been shown in Japan, but, 唐手(kara te, Chinese hand) probably would have been a name that the Japanese avoiding learning (Nationalism and all that). Also, by the time that karate was being brought to Japan the era of classical combat had ended.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

I am not certain that it was. I believe that it had been shown in Japan, but, 唐手(kara te, Chinese hand) probably would have been a name that the Japanese avoiding learning (Nationalism and all that). Also, by the time that karate was being brought to Japan the era of classical combat had ended.

Kara Te, is the name given to it when it arrived in japan. It was classified by Tomari, Shuri or Naha Te. Or just plain te.

Kara Te, is the name given to it when it arrived in japan. It was classified by Tomari, Shuri or Naha Te. Or just plain te.

The character 唐 referes to the Tang dynesty in China, and can be pronounced To (as seen in Tode, referecencing your use of "Te") OR Kara.

Also as I said above, the Japanese would not have considered karate a "classic" martial art since such arts were no longer used in combat.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky