• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

defining Kickboxing...or trying to.

I was reading the last thread and thought i'd start another one because of something I read. one user pointed out that Muay Thai fighters have tougher shins... I train Muay Thai, I am a brown belt under Ajarn Mike Miles. My Ring Experiance has been under kickboxing rules. In the kickboxing bouts I have had they have allowed kicks to the inside and outside of the legs....thus I shin block.

If we are talking a about a fight where leg kicks are not allowed, to me this is full contact karate. Not kickboxing. This is defined by the WKA.

It's really all opinion, and I certainly don't mean to question anyones training, but to me a fight that doesn't allow leg kicks is full contact karate not kickboxing.

How does everyone else train? With leg kicks or without? I have seen many fights where one fighter has obviously not trained with leg kicks but is forced to contend with them in the ring. I have seen many times where a fighter will beat down the leg getting the hands of the other fighter lower and lower and then dropping a shin on the guys head or neck, goodnight!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kickboxing IS full contact karate. It is a sport, and sports need rules.

You are correct in saying that kicks below the groin in karate are illegal - I'm not au fait with the rules of kickboxing, but I think that they also don't allow kicks below the groin.

I could be wrong though.

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

On 2002-07-18 16:49, Tobias_Reece wrote:

Kickboxing IS full contact karate. It is a sport, and sports need rules.

You are correct in saying that kicks below the groin in karate are illegal - I'm not au fait with the rules of kickboxing, but I think that they also don't allow kicks below the groin.

I could be wrong though.

The WKA (World Kickboxing Association) defines kickboxing as allowing leg kicks.

This is the point I was making, there is no set definition.

because the wka defines kickboxing as allowing leg kicks does not make it so

in the early eighties the pka was a big kickboxing organization and they did not allow leg kicks. but some of kickboxing earliest stars came from this area

bill wallace brad hefton and jerry trimble to name a few

this brings up the biggest problem in kickboxing today

too many groups with to many different rules

if all of the groups, iska wka wako k-1 would come together it would benefit the sport

come up with one set of regulations that all of the worlds sponsoring groups will accept and then promote the sport as one unified group

there seems to be three major classes of fighting right now...

full contact karate....kickboxing with no leg kicks

kickboxing....kickboxing allowing leg kicks

muay thai...kickboxing allowing leg kicks knees and elbows(with some slight variations in these rules to allow for fighter inexperience)

if the sport would get together it would allow for the unification of all of the alphabet groups so called world title holders into one unanimous title holder for all weight classes

think of the promotion opportunity that would allow

kickboxing has struggled to break through to the general population due to in part the alphabet brothers fighting over a small piece of pie. perhaps if they all got together the pie would grow large enough for everyone

Honor is the most important thing a man has once you lose it it is gone forever