• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Injury

RichardZ

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Recently I tore something in my hamstring. probably got tight and popped during alternating toe touches. Been dealing with it for about 2 months. Slowly getting better, but it still hurts. Makes it real hard to get a good stretch.

Well, on tuesday I threw my punch as my partner blocked soto-uke. My fist was properly closed, his block was fine... if mis-timed.

Elbow vs Thumb - Elbow Wins!

My thumb got the full force of his elbow directly into the knuckle and the force shot through to the base of my thumb.

It is now slightly swollen and turning a lovely shade of bruised. And it hurts like hell. Especially where all the little bones are.

• 3 months later...

I have a chronic right ankle sprain that I forgot to brace last night.

seems like once or twice a year, I end up in the local E.R. due to a run in with a big out of control dude in class or a collision with a wall.

Right now I'm dealing with some minor soreness, bumps, and bruises from coming back to class after a nine month break... ugh

Shaolin Kempo, 1st Dan (earned 3 July 2018 in China)

ITF Tae Kwon Do, 2nd Dan (earned 6 June 2009 in San Diego, CA)

Almost 20 years of martial arts training in total

I got kicked in the shin the other day actually, I haven't been able to do anything for 5 days which is annoying as the weather is so nice. Swelling is getting better though. Just used the RICE technique been good training for my left leg though so in that way I don't mind so much.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

My most annoying injury was to the trapezius muscle in my left shoulder/neck. The pain seems to flare back up about once a year or so for a couple of days and then goes away again, but never as bad as the original injury.

OMG someone else knows my nightmare! My pain flares up a few times a year and when it does, I'm done. I've gotten good and nursing it back but when it pulls I know I'm not going to sleep very well that night.

My most annoying injury was to the trapezius muscle in my left shoulder/neck. The pain seems to flare back up about once a year or so for a couple of days and then goes away again, but never as bad as the original injury.

OMG someone else knows my nightmare! My pain flares up a few times a year and when it does, I'm done. I've gotten good and nursing it back but when it pulls I know I'm not going to sleep very well that night.

More Deadlift :D

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

• 1 month later...

I am dealing with both rotator cuffs plus hip arthritis. So basically, aside from shoulders and hips, everything is great. Anyone want to thumb wrestle?

The hip stuff has gotten to the point where I will have to have surgery (hip resurfacing or replacement) on both sides. Which pretty much stinks, but I am accepting it, and plan on having one side done in January. Now I am also dealing with rotator cuff problems, probably caused by overworking my kaibo kata. I am doing PT and associated exercises -- not as much as I'm supposed to, because I'm discouraged, but doing the best I can -- ice, ibuprofen, etc. Why does it take so long? Why won't things just work when I want them to? Wah wah wah.

• 1 month later...

I did a mawashi geri, brought my back foot back down and landed incorrectly and rolled my ankle. I tore all of my ligaments and tendons in it. I had to take a few weeks off karate. Around three weeks into my comeback from my badly sprained ankle; I dislocated my kneecap and broke my articular femur at karate. I had a screw put into my knee and the recovery took a few months as I lost all of my muscle due to being on crutches for six weeks.

Whilst they were removing the screw, they discovered that my knee cartilage had a hole in it. I had a cartilage graft three weeks ago. I am yet again on crutches for nine weeks.

The worst part about the whole thing is that I cannot go back to karate for 27 weeks. In the meantime I have to ice my knee and undergo intense physiotherapy. It will be a long road to full recovery.

My Sensei at the time referred to me as "crystal" as I break easily. It's also a play on my name. I swear I am not fragile... I have just had bad luck! :)

- Chris

Not to make light of anything anyone is putting up with, but I've found over time that most of the joint and muscle pains I've put up with over the years have been self inflicted and generally relate to my own poor technique.

a couple examples, and certainly not to say this is what others are going through...

I've got an ankle as well. Lots of sprains, lots of pain I always just chalked it up to a legacy of bad luck but one day I realized I was pronating that foot all the time and consistently letting the blade of my foot lift off the floor. This meant that hundreds of times a week I was placing undue strain on on the joint. Concentrating on keeping proper contact with the floor has given the ankle enough of a reprieve to not only stop aching so much but actually get some of its strength back. Not to mention it's improved my stances.

Had a hitch in my back between the shoulders. I went back to basics and concentraed on proper hikate and sure enough in a couple days the hitch let go and in a couple weeks its like it was never there.

My lower back used to be sore and tired after putting in a good effort on the dojo floor. The better I tuck the hips and control the tanden, the less my back hurts after, most days not at all. In fact, if my back does hurt after a session I now find it safe to assume that one way or another I've been letting my centre go.

That said...

Dislocated my wrist last year. Spent the summer keeping it braced. Mother Nature and Father Time have worked their magic, but it still needs the occassion range of motion work to keep it sliding back in place. Wrist curls with dumbells helps.

we all have our moments