• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Injury

RichardZ

What short term AND long term injuries have you sustained in martial arts or self defense?

What have you done, or continue to do, to aid-assist this injury(ies)?

How long, have you had this injury(ies) and has it gotten better or worsen?

If you contribute the injury as martial art related, do you have regrets?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My most annoying injury was to the trapezius muscle in my left shoulder/neck. The pain seems to flare back up about once a year or so for a couple of days and then goes away again, but never as bad as the original injury.

I've also pulled a hamstring a couple of times, folded a toenail in half, hyperextended my knee, and chipped a tooth (because I stupidly didn't wear my mouthpiece while sparring.). Then of course the many minor bumps and bruises that often come with physical activities.

Regrets? Other than wishing I'd been wearing that mouthpiece, which I knew I should have been putting in, not really. The benefits I've gained from martial arts far outweigh the injuries.

I broke the schaphoid bone n my wrist years ago. At the tie I was training for a fight and failed to get surgery. Now, it bothers me constantly.

Regrets, no. I do wish I'd have been smart enough to take time back then (and the recovery to full activity is substantial) rather than have it hinder me the rest of my life.

In the short term, I had a pain in the palmheel of my right hand. I spoke with the nurse before seeing the doctor, and referred to karate and the makiwara board. When the doctor spoke with me, she was familiar with this type of injury.

There seems to be a small bone in the palmheel that she placed her finger on immediately, and explained how it's slammed when impact is repeatedly done against such an object/training device. The left hand didn't have it, but it would likely develop the same injury if I continued such strikes against the board. We spoke of the area at the base of the "pad" where the knifehand edge meets the palmheel. That can really take it.

I skipped the makiwara board for a good month, then redirected hard strikes so that that spot struck the board. To do it, there's a kind of turning of the hand, like 45 degrees, looking like it's between a knifehand and a palmheel. No problems for either hand developed.

Although I don't strike the makiwara board any longer, I've kept that kind of palmheel strike for the chest of the opponent, practicing on BOB, and I believe that it's capable of fracturing the sternum. If the sternum isn't hit, but the pectoral muscles are, I still feel it'll be a strong blow.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Worse one I've got at the minute is a neck injury from getting punched too hard in the head in a tournament a couple of months ago. Pretty much gave me whiplash and I still have problems turning my head and get pain there sometimes.

Got a recurring ankle injury from a couple of years ago that flares up every so often, usually just cover it in tiger balm, take some painkillers and strap it.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Got a recurring ankle injury from a couple of years ago that flares up every so often, usually just cover it in tiger balm, take some painkillers and strap it.

Me too. Especially my right ankle. Seems I roll that sucker bad, at least a couple times a year. When I say "bad," I mean swelling up to the size of a small cantaloupe, can't put on socks, shoes or sandals bad. Other than that, and my screwed-up back, I've been pretty lucky.

Once while doing a form in front of the class I had to do a 270 degree backward jumping spin into a back stance, didn't get my back foot full airborne and when I went to land in the back stance it turned and the outside of the ankle hit the floor...there was a loud pop gasps of horror by the audience...it swelled up real good and I was out for 6 weeks.

There was a toe sprain due to those evilly inspired jigsaw mats that caused my foot to turn purple.

Once during a spar I got a partial fracture from accidently blocking someones knee with my index finger.

Couple bangs on the back of the head from falling. Thats it.

Long Live the Fighters!

• 1 month later...

Our Dojo was closed over Christmas. First day back on January 5 and what do I go and do? I pulled a groin muscle. I was off for a week with this injury. Go back in and I've aggravated the injury again.

The only difference between the possible and the impossible is one's will.

- Hironori Ohtsuka Sensei -