• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What would you do? (A question for experienced Judokas)

A few months ago (August) I developed swelling in my right arm. We are certain it was caused when an injury to a blood vessel deep in my upper arm caused a clot to form and cut off the circulation. I believe it was caused by repetition of the Ippon Seionage in Judo - which I had started practicing about one to two months prior to the swelling.

Now I am ready to start fighting again and I would like to go back to Judo. My question for the experienced Judokas here is that if you were in my shoes, would you go back to Judo?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I would. i have never had anything like this happen to me before, but while I was teaching Uechi Ryu, I did an Chugari Ukemi, and I hit a stone slab and broke three of my toes. This stopped all my grappling arts. It took three weeks for them to 'fix' and I went back to all of my martial arts.

I see what you're getting at. I'm not sure if I was clear on the question though. I have reason to believe the Judo caused it and that I have a 50/50 chance of it recurring by returning to Judo and I can't decide on my own whether to take that risk or not so I'm asking what you would do.

IMHO, you could still practice-train in Judo. You may have to "favor" this damaged arm and perform less over-on shoulder-like applications and/or rough randori. There is a great risk with developing blot clots and my advice to anyone, anytime, anywhere, is to seek out a doctor.

Judo is an art of the warrior class. Do you think that a member of the warrior class would just quit if they had this happen to them. i dont think so, and I wouldnt quit either. if its something you love you cannot deny it.

But it is a matter of warrior class. You just have to learn to be careful and not worry about how stupid you look if you do not do something at full force.

Licking ones wounds is a matter to do off of the tatami. Not on the tatami. If you take preventative measures it will not happen again. learn from this and put this on the side of your weaknesses and learn what not to do next time.

Iti s not a matter of a warrior class. the founder of Judo, never set out for it to be anything more fierce. His purpose was to create a effective, less fiercing art.

Taking preventative measures is what many are posting.

Except warriors who do not know when to stop for health reasons.

Iti s not a matter of a warrior class. the founder of Judo, never set out for it to be anything more fierce. His purpose was to create a effective, less fiercing art.

Taking preventative measures is what many are posting.

Except warriors who do not know when to stop for health reasons.

Jigaro Kano Sensei Never attended this art to be a rough art. He wanted it to be art of gentleness. BUT...this is not the way in this modern society of martial arts has taken a new toll of "traditional" There is classical and traditional martial arts. But. Who are we to differ between the two. I am a shodan in Judo not extremely of high skill, but average skill.

If you take those measures than you have nothing to fear continue on with it.

A warrior should know when his weaknesses interfere and then he or she works on those weaknesses to gain success