• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Obama Gets A Black Belt

Well, first President Obama gets a Nobel Prize....then he gets an honorary Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do...cool...good grief!

Here's a very brief article about this....

http://www.kidokwan.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=387:president-obama-to-receive-honorary-taekwondo-belt&catid=41:kukki

:)

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the article, President Obama had practiced TKD and reached green belt during that time.

I'd say that since the Koreans see TKD as "culturally" nationalistic, it's a fitting honor.

Agreed. It's kind of like when a university gives someone an honorary doctorate. It's given as a symbol of respect to the person being honored, not so much as a representation of their level of academic mastery of the material. I view it in somewhat the same sense for giving Obama an honorary black belt.

Granted, I don't this his "honorary" black belt should hold the same weight as a normal one, because he doesn't have that level of mastery. But as long as its remembered for what it is, as being given as an honor, then it doesn't bother me.

Bet all of you that Obama will....in the residence of the White House.....

1) Put on the Uniform

2) Put on the belt

3) Get into a stance

4) Do some type of a technique or two

5) Then...Kihap/Kiai

:P

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Richard, Kez . . . Do you feel the same way about honorary doctorates? They're given more frequently, such as at college graduations to honor the guest speaker.

Personally, I'd equate a fourth dan/Master level with a doctorate, especially since I've learned what my teacher, who is a fourth dan, has worked so hard on for so long.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Richard, Kez . . . Do you feel the same way about honorary doctorates? They're given more frequently, such as at college graduations to honor the guest speaker.

Personally, I'd equate a fourth dan/Master level with a doctorate, especially since I've learned what my teacher, who is a fourth dan, has worked so hard on for so long.

To me, an honary doctrate represents a particular field an individual had strived for and recognised by peers within that field. . In the course of anything, per a rank or doctrate, if it isnt hard core learned, it should be easy scored earned.

Lastly, anything so "honorary" isnt so "honorable", as the givers have a hidden agenda to bestow this "short cut" to one who is really not derserving as one who put their sweat and tears into it.