When I Take Off My Belt!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when i was still in the kenpo school, one of the blue belts told me he throws his belts in the closet and I'm like What? You take what you got for your work and dedication and throw it in the closet? and he's like 'well....don't tell sensei' and I'm like thinking, Yeah. I'm not sure people always know what exactly the belts could mean and represent.[/quote

I throw dirty clothes on the floor all the time at home. The belt is just another piece of laundry in my wardrobe. It only gets worn a few times a week, though.

when i was still in the kenpo school, one of the blue belts told me he throws his belts in the closet and I'm like What? You take what you got for your work and dedication and throw it in the closet? and he's like 'well....don't tell sensei' and I'm like thinking, Yeah. I'm not sure people always know what exactly the belts could mean and represent.[/quote

I throw dirty clothes on the floor all the time at home. The belt is just another piece of laundry in my wardrobe. It only gets worn a few times a week, though.

Interesting. So if we are to throw them around like dirty clothes, why bother to wear them?

Most of the time I don't. The only time I have it on anymore is when I'm training BJJ. Any standup work is almost always in shorts and a tee.

I guess the attitude towards not wearing a belt is due to those who place their belt above all things in their lifes.

For those who say...."Why even wear a belt?" Then don't! For those who say..."I wear a belt!" Then wear it.

Either way, it's no reason to get on our high-horses, unless, one is still immature in their martial arts walk, imho.

If "your" own sensei, who wears a belt, threw his belt like dirty clothes; would "you", whomever "you" is, say something to "YOUR" own sensei...to his/her face? Many won't for fear of their sensei/instructor for whatever reason(s). Many say they would say something to their sensei/instructor, but, would they really? I don't know. Would I?

Not because of fear of my Sensei, but, OUT OF RESPECT! Besides, it's his belt, he can do whatever he wants with the darn thing. Who am I to say something to my Sensei when that seems so minuscule compared to more important things in the martial arts, like, learning/training in effective techniques and the like?

I guess that this topic will rage on way after we're all dead!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I guess the attitude towards not wearing a belt is due to those who place their belt above all things in their lifes.

For those who say...."Why even wear a belt?" Then don't! For those who say..."I wear a belt!" Then wear it.

Either way, it's no reason to get on our high-horses, unless, one is still immature in their martial arts walk, imho.

If "your" own sensei, who wears a belt, threw his belt like dirty clothes; would "you", whomever "you" is, say something to "YOUR" own sensei...to his/her face? Many won't for fear of their sensei/instructor for whatever reason(s). Many say they would say something to their sensei/instructor, but, would they really? I don't know. Would I?

Not because of fear of my Sensei, but, OUT OF RESPECT! Besides, it's his belt, he can do whatever he wants with the darn thing. Who am I to say something to my Sensei when that seems so minuscule compared to more important things in the martial arts, like, learning/training in effective techniques and the like?

I guess that this topic will rage on way after we're all dead!

:)

Grand post. Sorry to cross thread, there was a mention that soeone saw a high rank-respected instructor in plain clothes at a tourney or event.

This said, most venerable instructors dont seem to actually care about rank in many aspects.

I have met many, who will not wear it.

Strange, I had a simular discussion with a Buddhist monk.

I think choosing not to wear a belt doesn't make someone better or wiser than someone who chooses to wear a belt, or vice-versa. It's a fairly small thing, and anyone who chooses to turn their wearing or not wearing of a belt into a STATEMENT is missing the point really. Which is not to say that anyone shouldn't be proud of their achieved grade, not at all. But its hard work that gets the grade, not the cotton wrapped round it.