• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Just Sparring..."

bushido_man96

one can practice combinations, timing, reactions, with other aparatus.

Think about that for a second. What would you be reacting to if you're not training against another person? What feedback would you get if your timing is right without another person?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The double ended bag can be useful in helping to develop those things. Of course, the best training for an activity is the activity itself. But as a supplimental solo workout, the double ended bag can help with both. I'm a big fan of it as a tool.

• 3 weeks later...

I certainly think drilling with the instructor is important, as you don't want to end up accidentally practising a slightly incorrect execution. Safety issues not withstanding, it's the sparring that lends itself more to homework than the drilling. ideally of course you do it all during the class where you can get feedback. This discussion reminded me of a) the way my fencing instructor opperates and b) the way I was taught to instruct in ESL classes. 4 phases (all monitored by the teacher - although the 4th less intensively)

a) form - form is demonstrated. students repeat form, form is corrected

b) practice form (drill) - students repeat the technique - corrections made (eg in pairs, a specific attack and a specific defence of that attack)

c) controlled production - students use the technique in an activity that REQUIRES them to use it, but they produce it autonomously - not quite like a drill. (Eg students use the same attack and defence techniques, but unlike the drill it's competative - but MUST stick to those techniques)

d) free poduction (sparring) - just try to win :) and perhaps you'll find a time and place for the techniques just taught. or not.

i'm sure this forms the basis of most people's martial arts classes? but i really think it's a wee bit misguided to see "drilling" as a waste of class time.

• 2 weeks later...
I think drilling during the course of sparring is one of the best things you can do to really work your tools up to a usable level under stress. Of course, this means stepping back from a competitive mindset and getting into a training one.

This can and should apply across all your free fighting training. For me, that means that I try to do it while I'm working stand up and grappling. Is it the only way to spar? No, I too enjoy "just sparring" and it too has a valuable place. Both methods are training tools. It's just a question of applying both in good amounts.

At it's simplest level, setting up drilling during sparring can be defining one defender and one attacker. Or, you can use variants where the defender is forced to use one arm or head movement only. Also in the simple category, I'd group just attempting to use combinations or tools that are either new to you, or ones that you know that you are weak in.

At more complex variation, one might integrate takedowns at given times during the fight. This is usually "fed" by the partner to train the other participant in finding the right timing for a given takedown movement. Also, one might have their partner give a specific form of resistance or defense to your movements. This will allow you to work specifically on defeating that kind of defense.

I do like sparring, but too often we just have fun with it and don't grow because of it. It's another tool that we should really sharpen to help us move forward.

You hit the nail on the head and I totally agree. :up: