• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Just Sparring..."

bushido_man96

The double ended striking bag is a good choice and will get you slipping and bobbing the head quite well. I'll also second shadow boxing, with the emphasis being on defensive movements. Also don't forget to keep the head movments going during your heavy bag work.

Last but not least you already called- keep up the sparring. Do some work that makes you do nothing but defend ans slip for a few light rounds a day. It'll go along way. Remember to keep your sparring structured to work on things, not "just spar".

This quote from tallgeese got me thinking about the sparring that takes place in my TKD school.

When we line up to spar, this is basically what we do; "just spar." We don't get into a lot of drilling different aspects of fighting. So, if we want to drill certain things, it is up to us to take to it in our brief matches that we have at the end of class.

I think this can be a good thing, and a bad thing. Its good in that you do more than worry about scoring the next point in your sparring. The bad is that the frequency of things you want to train against may not be very high, and thus you can lose out on what it is you wanted to focus more on.

These were just some thoughts this thread brought up. I really like the idea of a focused sparring class in which drills are done to a particular end.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think drilling during the course of sparring is one of the best things you can do to really work your tools up to a usable level under stress. Of course, this means stepping back from a competitive mindset and getting into a training one.

This can and should apply across all your free fighting training. For me, that means that I try to do it while I'm working stand up and grappling. Is it the only way to spar? No, I too enjoy "just sparring" and it too has a valuable place. Both methods are training tools. It's just a question of applying both in good amounts.

At it's simplest level, setting up drilling during sparring can be defining one defender and one attacker. Or, you can use variants where the defender is forced to use one arm or head movement only. Also in the simple category, I'd group just attempting to use combinations or tools that are either new to you, or ones that you know that you are weak in.

At more complex variation, one might integrate takedowns at given times during the fight. This is usually "fed" by the partner to train the other participant in finding the right timing for a given takedown movement. Also, one might have their partner give a specific form of resistance or defense to your movements. This will allow you to work specifically on defeating that kind of defense.

I do like sparring, but too often we just have fun with it and don't grow because of it. It's another tool that we should really sharpen to help us move forward.

Drilling is ok. But I would think instead of taking up precious class time on sparring driolls, perhaps assign drills so student can practice certain drills on their own.

Drills maybe ok for beginners like training wheels on a bike, but soon its time to take off the training wheels.

Drilling builds tools and sharpens fundamentals. Those are two things that you can never get enough of no matter your time in. After quite a while doing movements that make up what I do, I still work on the right angle, the right timing, everything to make it more perfect. More useable under duress. That's only possible when you're intimately familiar with the movement.

You achieve that thru drilling under a variety of conditions using a variety of modalities. Not just sparring away.

I agree that wide open sparring is also important, but certainly not more so than working movements thru drilling. That's the core of improvement. Drilling properly is the purview of the coach and I'd rather make certain my guys are getting the movements correct and in an usable fashion than having them go rounds on one another. You really can't afford for them to drill it wrong.

I'd rather have them spar on their own. Again, I'm not saying sparring is bad. Quite the opposite, I think it's a great training tool. But one that has to be used right and in conjunction with everything else needed to build a great martial artist.

Drilling is ok. But I would think instead of taking up precious class time on sparring driolls, perhaps assign drills so student can practice certain drills on their own.

Its kind of tough to practice sparring drills on your own. Its one of those things that tends to be partner-based. Especially when timing, reactions, etc. come into play.

I agree. Although a sparring drill may not be limited to a partner. one can practice combinations, timing, reactions, with other aparatus.

In other words, it is paramount with a partner (preferably a few for differences) but in case one is alone, such can still be drills, to a degree.

Brian,

Just Sparring...I LOVE IT! Nothing better than JUST SPARRING! Just spar, just spar, just spar, just spar, just spar.....

Sometimes my black belts hate JUST SPARRING with me. They'll wonder out loud at times..."AREN'T YOU TIRED YET?" My usual response..."NOPE...KEEP GOING!" Heheheehhee, I love just sparring!

:)

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!