Workout for Bad Foot

tufrthanu

Cake or Death?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Cake or Death?

• Cake
    • Death

Hey all:

I am currently trying to lose weight and due to both health and financial issues am not able to train my MA regularly. I have a problem with one of my feet. ulcer that hasn't healed, and that's making trying to find a good workout routine especially hard. Does anyone know of any good routines especially aerobic that don't put weight on the ball of the foot? You would be surprised at how many things do such as push ups etc. but any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Long Live the Fighters!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Unfortunately george being in a pool...especially a public one as a diabetic with an ulcer on my foot would NOT be a good idea. Thanks for the idea though.

Long Live the Fighters!

yes there is a recumbant bike lying around I could try. I was thinking that on the peddles the balls of the foot would face some pressure but perhaps on a recumbant one it wouldn't be as bad or I could adjust my feet somehow.

Long Live the Fighters!

Man, the feet are so important in a lot of things, that this is going to be tough.

You could do push-ups with your bad foot resting on your good one. Upper body lifts like curls, triceps extensions, etc. would be good as well. Just experiment and see what you can do safely.

This is a hard thing to give help on, as Bushido Man said, the feet are so important it's funny actually, but you could try pull up, pushups with your bad foot resting on the other, stationary bike, try pedaling with the middle or heel or your bad foot, to work on balance you could to jump rope while only using your good foot, crunches shouldn't bother your foot, lay on your back and raise your feet 6 inches of the ground and hold for ab help, but that's all I can think of, if I think of more I'll try to post it. good luck

I cannot prevent the wind from blowing, but I can adjust my sails to make it work for me

There's some things you can work on, but some will take modification as mentioned already. Such as posting weight on one foot instead of both.

I'd start devising body weight circuits. You can vary out pull ups almost to infinity to work slightly different muscles and keep you from getting bored. One arm, with or without assist, towel, inverted grip, off set grip. Additionally, you can do rowing motions by hanging under the bar and pulling your upper body off a bench. The heels only serve as a fulcrum here.

Think about looking into should and upper body plyos and the like. For instance, you've got push ups and someone mentioned posting off one foot. Now vary grips and postures as well. Add a ball to off set the arm postures and work stabilization. Start working hand jumps between the floor and it.

Along those lines, try shoulder stabilizer walks. From a push up position (again, modified), start walking the hands over one another to move your body like a windshield wiper. This will burn out the shoulders nicely.

While you're down there, work in superman reaches for back stabilizers. Maybe some reverse crunches as well. A roman chair could help here and it wouldn't affect your injured foot.

Think about building a set of parralets (small parallel bars). Check out crossfit.com for instructions that are cheap and easy. You can do loads of ab/core work with them as well as tri stuff.

Don't neglect things like inverted shoulder presses against a wall for total upper core work. These will elicit a real burn in all kinds of places. I find it's best to do them outside of any circuits.

Lastly, don't forget light weight, high rep, fast pace, seated or lying weight routines for more work. These might go a long way given your situation.

Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

You can still do push-ups, you just have to adjust them. First you're going to have to go to your knees - 'but that makes them easier!' you say. Well, yes it does. So you have to compensate that in other places; elevating the knees shifts your weight back toward your upper body, altering the positioning of your hands can increase the difficulty, doing single arm pushups doubles it, and you allso have range to work with the movement itself; if you lower all the way down, stop, relax, then push up slowly trying to make the pushup take extra time, that will take more strength than the little twitches I see many people doing.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia