• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Went to a SBD workshop yesterday

I can't believe that someone like me, who's never been to MA workshops, has been to two this month. The first had been a JKD one, the second was in my art, Soo Bahk Do, at the national headquarters in Springfield, NJ.

I was glad this was at night, not having to take off from work/teaching to attend, like the JKD workshop. This one was loaded with dan members who wanted to study knife defenses and "sleeve" techniques; the gup members, like me, were there for different spins on defense against the wrist grab and applications from the forms.

It started off like a class, which I didn't expect, but the instructor took what we normally do to start off a class anywhere and tossed in some extra moves to spice it up. We did solo movements beyond what we'd normally do to start, and then we did partner movements to put in some practice. I guess you just have to give it a chance.

The wrist work had some tricks thrown in that were really based more on footwork and twisting your body than manipulating the joints once you took hold. Takedowns were incorporated, which I was glad about.

For applications, first we would do a form, then a segment would be taken from it to practice the now unveiled secret. One of the movements that my teacher had shown me, to break free from a rear seize and then do a takedown, was presented instead as a block from a frontal attack and a takedown done differently. That's what I like about a forms segment; you can learn/practice one application, then be introduced to another, and so on.

I liked this workshop because I could concentrate on the material I've been practicing so much, to acquire knowledge now, rather than find out at a higher belt level.

Seminars/workshops . . . I'd say that if they're close enough to drive to, give them a shot.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I enjoy seminars and workshops as well, Joe. When you can interact with different Martial Artists that you wouldn't normally be in contact with, you get to see so many different ideas and approaches. I'm glad you enjoyed your time.