• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Painful minor injuries

Bastich

I was involved in some very intense full contact sparring on monday night and didn't realise until we had stopped but i have taken several layers of skin off the underside of both big toes. I now have two rather large flaps of skin hanging on both feet which are obviously very sore.

I have taped them up to enable me to go to my lesson tonight but it got me wondering about other injuries people may have got during training that although minor were actually quite painful.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not exactly class related, but I was in my gi when it happened... Walking around after class, I decided to punch a wall out of the blue, for no particular reason. I wasn't even mad or angry, just thought I'd punch something a little bit. My knuckle hurt for about two months afterward. Very much a poor decision on my part.

I think the one I hate the most is when you hit something and your bend back or rip off a fingernail or toenail. your nails really don't need to be that long to get bent too

“Studying karate nowadays is like walking in the dark without a lantern.” Chojun Miyagi (attributed)

https://www.lanterndojo.com/

https://karatenobody.blogspot.com/

I've had that skin on the bottom of the foot issue before.

You feel the skin, but you don't feel pain. Then you finally stop and look and you're like O MAN I lost a CHUNK.

My most recent was going in open hand and getting kicked on the finger.

Had a sprain for a week. Still some lingering pain in the joint after 3 weeks.

SLOWLY going away

My most painful injuries definitely happened before I trained karate (like chopping off the very tip of my middle finger while cooking, or getting hit by cars while on my bike).

The worst karate injury I ever had was from being punched in the mouth during the finals of a tournament. I had a mouthpiece on so I was alright, but I chose to eat softer foods for a few days. Thank God my opponent was controling to some extent, otherwise I might not have had any front teeth.

Also, once while being the attacker in one step sparing (yes, I said one-step sparing) my over-zealous kohai forgot that as uke he had to control his counterattack and punched me so hard in the solarplexus that I couldn't inhale properly for a good minute or two.... the sound I made was kind-of like a rubber ducky. It was rather amusing, albeit painful in every sense of the word. The good news is that I was completely fine afterwards and went right on back to training.

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

• 2 weeks later...

did the exact same thing after my first practice wasnt as sore as yours i dont think as i didnt miss practice

"The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilised community , against his will, is to prevent harm to others" (J.S Mill, On Liberty; 135)

I've had a couple good ones. I'd say one of my funniest ones though was on my test for red belt. I was doing a board break, and I was given the choice by the testing board of how I wanted to break the board. I decided to do a jump front snap kick with the board holders holding the board parallel to the floor above my head level so that I would have to kick straight up for height. I successfully broke the board, but they lost their hold on one of the halves of the now broken board, which arced in the air and flew back smacking me in the forehead and giving me a nice little cut.

So the lesson I learned is that Bruce Lee was wrong. Boards really do hit back! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Never injured in Karate but i have many injuries from Judo,broken toes,broken fingers,neck pains from shime waza,burns to the skin from newaza and other smaller injuries.Judo is very hard on body :brow: but i love it :D