• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Knuckle injury

GhostFighter

Ive been boxing with an injured knuckle (middlefinger)for months and now it even hurts when im pressing it.

It started when i did left hooks on the heavy bag for almost an hour straight and even 6 weeks rest didnt help because the hurt started again when i punched the bag. Its also seems slightly bigger, i quess its from the swollennes, do i need to ice it or will warm therapy help more?

Anyway im thinking of laying of and form hitting for 6 months! Dramatic for i got no choice :(

Everyday is a fight

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Go get it looked at and X-rayed; something might be structurally mucked up that might still be correctible. (6 months rest? Probably would make it permanent.)

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

When I injured the little finger knuckle on my right hand from performing a right hook bare-knuckled, I thought I'd broken/cracked it. But I was able to move my fingers, and X-rays (one of the hand flat, the other of my fingers making an "OK" sign) showed no breakage.

If you look at the little and ring finger knuckles now, comparing them with the left hand, they're both larger (I don't remember pain in the ring finger knuckle, but it must have received part of the blast), which I imagine is some form of scar tissue.

You've never mentioned mobility, X-rays, or even a doctor's visit, Ghostfighter. Sometimes they're the only way to handle an injury.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Ive been to a docter he told only thing i could do is rest. Also had an x ray, no breakage of any form and im able to move the finger painlessly but yet when i make a fist and hit the bag it hurts!

My middle knuckle always gets the first hit on impact so i quess its from that.

Everyday is a fight

Ive been to a docter he told only thing i could do is rest.

Then...rest!

Also had an x ray, no breakage of any form and im able to move the finger painlessly but yet when i make a fist and hit the bag it hurts!

Easier said than done for a martial artist, but, stop making a fist and stop hitting the bag. One, you won't feel that pain and two, resting is what the doctor told you to do. Your x-rays proved that there was no breakage, so be thankful for that because if you had broken something, you'd be out even longer.

Don't rush the injury because time heals all things!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Ghots, do you have palm heel, forearm, wrist, etc. techniques and the like that you can drill and practice instead for now? you can really deliver a lot of punishment with your hands and never make a fist or hit with your knuckle. Even if, heaven forbid, your finger never forgives you for your bag work, it does not by a long shot mean that you can't use hand work.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Ghots, do you have palm heel, forearm, wrist, etc. techniques and the like that you can drill and practice instead for now? you can really deliver a lot of punishment with your hands and never make a fist or hit with your knuckle. Even if, heaven forbid, your finger never forgives you for your bag work, it does not by a long shot mean that you can't use hand work.

Ofcourse i could always use elbows when it comes to self defense but i want to continue boxing and elbows no allowed ;)

Everyday is a fight

I agree with JusticeZero and work on other things. Focus on your other hand. Maybe lead with the other side, and do things that way. Rest that particular finger, but work around it, and keep your training going.