Truestar

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a job as a baggage handler or other manual job. Get paid to train all day! Otherwise I recommend the hand-grips that have been mentioned... or just do the exercise without them.

In judo a common warm-up is to extend your arms forward, hands open, and quickly close your hand to a fist and twist in a grabbing action. Do it long enough and you'll soon feel it working.

Avoid the sissy handgrips you'll find in a sporting goods store. Most of those go up to maybe 50 pounds tops. The average male has a grip of approximately 110 pounds so you'll want something more than that.

I recommend the Captains of Crush grippers. The original five grippers are the Trainer (100 pounds), #1 (140 pounds), #2 (195 pounds), #3 (285 pounds), and #4 (365 pounds). Most will be fine with a Trainer and a #1, a #2 if you get very strong.

May I ask, how does this isolate and focus on the forearms?

My post preceded the question above, perhaps you were asking me to elaborate? Not sure.... Anyway, how arm wrestling targets the forearms is too obvious to have been the subject of your question, so I guess it'd be the push ups. The body has a natural tendency to support and strengthen muscles that are being asked to balance things, more so than when they're only working in a single dimension. Doing push ups on the couple square centimetres of contact surface area on each hand means the weight can't just settle down with the palm resting on the final finger joint, behind the nails. Instead, the hand is precariously balanced and able to tilt either way, with an uncontrolled outwards tilt potentially harmful. The body must dynamically compensate for any momentary instability to prevent the body weight crashing down, and it tends to cut in very quickly before the inbalance becomes threatening. Given the wrists themselves don't have muscles in them, it's the muscles in the lower arm that control the angles at the wrist, and hence the forearm is working in this way. You can move on to suspending yourself by the knuckles with the legs raised out straight in front, or with your hands on a railing or ledge and your body suspended off the floor, but you don't want to do too much too soon.

Cheers,

Tony

Avoid the sissy handgrips you'll find in a sporting goods store. Most of those go up to maybe 50 pounds tops. The average male has a grip of approximately 110 pounds so you'll want something more than that.

I recommend the Captains of Crush grippers. The original five grippers are the Trainer (100 pounds), #1 (140 pounds), #2 (195 pounds), #3 (285 pounds), and #4 (365 pounds). Most will be fine with a Trainer and a #1, a #2 if you get very strong.

These are great. I almost forgot about them.

I guess, the different methods could have one not concerned about having to purchase a "certain" product.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard good things about the Captain of Crush grippers for quite some time now. I've been wanting a tougher gripper than the ones I have now, so I decided to order a #1 gripper to try out. I wasn't sure whether I should start with the trainer or the #1, but since I've already done strength training on my forearms for quite some time now, I decided to start with the #1. If its too tough, then I can just go back and order the Trainer.

I've heard good things about the Captain of Crush grippers for quite some time now. I've been wanting a tougher gripper than the ones I have now, so I decided to order a #1 gripper to try out. I wasn't sure whether I should start with the trainer or the #1, but since I've already done strength training on my forearms for quite some time now, I decided to start with the #1. If its too tough, then I can just go back and order the Trainer.

I was going to do the same thing actually, I weight train but my forearms are terrible. When I deadlift im sure I can lift more but my grip always gives out.

Im probably going to get the trainer, number 1 and 2. Its cheaper on shipping if I buy more.

Towel Pull ups are also very effective.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

I was going to do the same thing actually, I weight train but my forearms are terrible. When I deadlift im sure I can lift more but my grip always gives out.

Im probably going to get the trainer, number 1 and 2. Its cheaper on shipping if I buy more.

Towel Pull ups are also very effective.

My #1 just shipped today, so I should hopefully have it by week's end. I'll let you know what I think of them!