Truestar

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of my forearm training comes from gripping during training and holding db's and pull up bars. That said, I'll occasionally work into a weight routine with wrist curls and reverse wrist curls.

I'll also use one of those grip training devices between sets on a couple of lift days just between sets.

Loren Christensen has some nice drills for the forearms in his book Solo Training 2. He does one drill where he takes two plates, 5 or 10 pounds, and holds them together between his fingers, and swings his arms gently. You can do it for time, or reps. Another was with a softball with a hole drilled in it, string through it, and at the end of the string you tied a weight.

Another exercise is to take a length of dowel that you can hold in 2 hands, put a length of string on it, attach a weight, and then roll up and unroll the weight. Antoher that I have found fun is to hold an escrima stick in one hand, at the top of the stick. From there, you "walk" the stick up using your fingers, and when you get to the bottom of the stick, you let it flip back down, and do it again.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When I was younger I did things the "old school" way using Chishi and Nigiri Kame, but those can be expensive. For forearm strength now, I hold 10 pound dumbells by the weight end instead of the handle and do shoulder raises, it works on many parts of your arm.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

I find my martial arts training overall keeps my forearms pretty solid. Also, lots of push up variations... most basic perhaps where only the two striking knuckles touch the ground, and the front of the fingers is kept elevated. Need to be careful though; if you collapse and twist the wrist - not good. Arm wrestling is also really good, but I did most of that in high school... ;-P. Not so cool as a grown man.