• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Supplement Suggestions needed

dklv78

Hello,

I'm new to the fitness game, I've started hitting the gym now and lifting weights. I've been at it for about 4 months, I have also started some MMA training. I was wondering what supplements everyone takes. I see so many multi-vitamins, joint relief, etc, but not sure what is the best and what I really need to help my workout and recovery. Does anyone have any suggestions on a daily supplement plan, and what brands are types you've seen actually help in your workout?

Thanks for your help

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You might try to check with an athletic trainer or MMA coach in your area as to what they would suggest. You could also try speaking with a nutritionist, let them know what your activites and goals are, and see what they suggest.

Welcome to the Forums, by the way. :karate:

Hello,

I'm new to the fitness game, I've started hitting the gym now and lifting weights. I've been at it for about 4 months, I have also started some MMA training. I was wondering what supplements everyone takes. I see so many multi-vitamins, joint relief, etc, but not sure what is the best and what I really need to help my workout and recovery. Does anyone have any suggestions on a daily supplement plan, and what brands are types you've seen actually help in your workout?

Thanks for your help

I take a multi-vitamin as a "just in case" every morning. Other than that, a good diet and plenty of rest.

The best recovery drink out there, including all the complex formula protein/recovery drinks, etc., is chocolate milk. Proven in studies.

If your diet is horrible, no supplements will make up for that. If your diet is well planned, supplements give you expensive urine.

About the only supplement not covered in diet that has been proven to work is creatine.

Oh, and this whole 8 glasses of water a day thing is a myth too. Yeah, there is a daily liquid requirement, but the "8 glasses" doesn't take into consideration that if you are eating fruits and veggies a lot, you get a lot of that liquid from them. Drink when you're thirsty, and a little extra after workouts, and you should be fine.

John

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

I'm not disputing the claim over recovery drinks, but I'd like the source material on that. I haven't seen those studies and would be very interested in the science on that.

As to supplements, alot of the hype is over blown and most recreational athletes can easily get by on a good diet and a decent multi-vitamin. If you're looking into bulking with the weights look into Animal Pac products, they have some good stuff that I've seen work pretty well in the past.

Also, make sure your considering the reasons you're hitting the weights as well. You might find that if your goal is to compete that you won't want the bulk in regards to weight classes. That might not be your thing, but if you're thinking that way, seriously look at where you'll optimally compete at before striving for 200 lbs.

Bushido man is certainly correct in looking at your goals and specifically designing your workout protocol around that. I've gotten back into the competition scene lately and have looked at where I roll best at for the ground game. That mandates I give up on looking big and focus more on other types of resistance training programs. This means I'm more advantaged in the right weight class and can actually get there without starving myself into a stupor.

You'll also find that your goals might change. Just stay on top of what you want and be sure to modify whatever you're doing to maximize that. That may or may not change your views on if you need supplementation or not.

I'm not disputing the claim over recovery drinks, but I'd like the source material on that. I haven't seen those studies and would be very interested in the science on that.

Here's three studies on chocolate milk.

Karp, Jason R.; Johnston, Jeanne D.; Tecklenburg, Sandy; Mickleborough, Tim; Fly, Alyce; Stager, Joel M. FACSM "The Efficacy of Chocolate Milk as a Recovery Aid," Annual Meeting Abstracts: C-34 - Free Communication/Poster: Post-Exercise Nutrition. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise: Volume 36(5) Supplement May 2004 p S126.

Thomas K, Morris P, Stevenson E. "Improved endurance capacity following chocolate milk consumption compared with 2 commercially available sport drinks." Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2009 Feb;34(1):78-82.

Gilson SF, Saunders MJ, Moran CW, Corriere DF, Moore RW, Womack CJ, Todd MK. "Effects of chocolate milk consumption on markers of muscle recovery during intensified soccer training." Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 2009;41:S577.

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

wow...chocolate milk!?

Is this like 2% milk or just in terms ANY chocolate milk is good for a person?

"In time of grave public crisis, one must have the courage to face a million and one opponents..." - Gichin Funakoshi

I agree with everyone else. I don't use supplements, and I think they're pretty worthless. From what I've seen, the only people that really need protein shakes are the ones that have serious problems holding onto muscle, or the ones that are trying to lose weight. They drink protein shakes in place of at least one meal, but they're usually monitored by a doctor.

If you're a relatively healthy human being, exercise and a good diet will go a very long way.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

I have heard of the chocolate milk claims, and I don't need much coaxing to get another serving of chocolate into my life. So, if it is even recommended, then I'm right on board there...

I have heard of the chocolate milk claims, and I don't need much coaxing to get another serving of chocolate into my life. So, if it is even recommended, then I'm right on board there...

I do both martial arts and endurance sports (competing triathlete), and I can't remember the last time I actually consumed a "recovery drink". A nice glass of chocolate milk after any endurance type workout. After a MA workout, I'll drink a bottle of Gatorade G2 (The low cal stuff) or Powerade Zero, and then a glass of milk when I get home.

If I know I'll be away during the 1/2 hour after a workout (The "golden" period), I'll take a baggie with some protein powder to mix into the G2. (I don't consider protein powder a supplement per se, although I guess technically it is, and the # of times I use it in a month can be counted on one hand ;) )

An absolute GREAT dessert, is take sugar free Jello pudding mix (chocolate of course!), mix in a few scoops of chocolate protein powder when making. Chill and serve, yummers!

John