• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ok, first off, yes, I know they use the word Yudo, but that's not generally known (yes I was the one who started the semantics thread), but Judo and Yudo are the same martial art exactly. Same curriculum and everything. Anyways, I will be living in Korea for another 2 years or so. After 18 years doing Karate, I want to branch out into throwing, and I want to take Judo here. I know they use different terminology for techniques and throws, but I can deal with that later, and look it up online.

Does anyone have experience training in Korea? Is it worth it to train here? Any suggestions or advice?

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'd say go for it. If you don't like it, you can always go back to what you were doing, right? Best of luck in it, and I would look forward to your reports on the training. :)

This is going to be more of an in conjunction experiment. I feel like after 18 years, it'd be hard for me to give up Karate haha. Judo will be an additional thing for me to study. I always like a new challenge. I'm going to be starting in late August, because I will be returning to the US for a quick break in a week. I'll be sure to keep you posted on how the training goes.

Still looking for people who have trained in Judo in Korea before. If you have, any comments are welcome.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd say go for it as well. There isn't any place near me that teaches Yudo, well that I know of.

But it's experience and learning new things will be fun

TalkMartial Arts The Martial Arts Community

Forums, Photo Gallery, User Blogs, Chatroom

Karate, Iaido, Jujutsu, Ryukyu Kobudo, Tai Chi

• 2 months later...
Be carefull in Korea,you will learn great Judo but they practice real hard.
Its funny you mention that, as Isshin and I were discussing that very topic the other night over an IM chat. They tend to be very competition driven.

Be carefull in Korea,you will learn great Judo but they practice real hard.
Its funny you mention that, as Isshin and I were discussing that very topic the other night over an IM chat. They tend to be very competition driven.

That is right and competition brings lots of injuries plus they are tough Judokas and high skilled

Oh wow, this is a coincidence isn't it? I know Isshinryu Karate but I'm also going to to learn Judo, I only have 2 and a half years knowledge of karate but I still do my basics and what I can, But you should go for it, I don't know much of Korea but I know that Dimitris is right, they train hard.

Good luck

I cannot prevent the wind from blowing, but I can adjust my sails to make it work for me