• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ouch, slept wrong?

So Sunday night I went to bed feeling fine, and not having done anything with my art that day and nothing more strenuous than a routine few miles of biking and light tidying. Monday, I woke up sore and stiff in my right shoulder and neck; I decided to go easy and let it recover. Monday evening I was pretty much incapacitated until I took a very hot shower, which still left me stiff.

4:00 AM Tuesday morning, the wife rolled over and my left shoulder dropped to the bed, and the resulting twist woke me up in a sparkling new world of pain; shortly after I crawled out of bed somehow and called someone to drive me to the ER. All of Tuesday and parts of Wednesday I spent sitting wearing a C-collar and trying to get tiny snippets of nap in here and there. By Thursday I could move quite a bit, but still with major limits and directions that just hurt a lot.

Today is Friday. Same as Thursday. Is there anything I should be doing to recover from this faster? Notwithstanding the strangeness of the injury - I could see mangling my shoulder by botching floor movement, but 'sleeping wrong' (especially when I don't recall waking up in any particularly odd positions) doesn't seem like something that would land one in the emergency room. :P

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Same here.

I have woken in the morning with a stiff back from staying in one position and also a stiff shoulder if I sleep with my head on my arm but it usually loosens up through out the day.

It may be beneficial to see a massage therapist.

Not the "relaxing" stereotype but someone who knows the body and can dig around. We have a neurological massage therapist in our town, and it's not someone you go to see for an hour of relaxation but boy does it clear things up! :lol:

Wow, so even at the ER they didn't really know what to do with you? I guess the good news is that you're healing. If you're not already using some, I'd recommend Ibprofien. Good luck!

Well, the ER gave me a C-collar for my neck to use for a day or so, some muscle relaxants (that took some of the edge off, but didn't really cure much) and some ibuprofen; they said to move it a bit and use heat. I've been doing all of those.

Yesterday, my dad noted that he felt that his side of the family had a genetic susceptibility to nightshades; he told me to remove tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, and all kinds of peppers (green, hot, etc) from my diet, as those apparently can cause joint inflammation in some people.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia