• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A testing I will go, A testing I will go, lalala...

Well, Shindokan's annual testing cycle is very near; June/July. My plate during this is always very full; no rest for the weary!

I'll be performing my duties, not as usual, because this time last year I was just a member of the Board of Regents at the Hombu. Now, I'm Kaicho, therefore, my duties have increased substantially, and I look forward to my first testing cycle as Kaicho/Chief Instructor.

Having said that, my Dai-Soke has informed me that I've been accepted and approved by the Executive, Administration, Instructor, and Testing/Promotions Departments to be tested in Kobudo for my Hachidan. Just when I thought that I was done with testing...forever!

Hachidan Kobudo Requirements:

*Thesis on Okinawa Kobudo History

*Kobudo Kata/Bunkai/Oyo Bunkai (Hachidan)

>>Chinen Shikiyanaka no Kun

*Kobudo Kata/Bunkai/Oyo Bunkai

>>Maezato no Nunchaku

>>Maezato no Tekko

>>Akamine no Nunchaku

>>Sakugawa no Kun (Sho)

>>Chikin Shitahaku no Sai

>>Shushi no Kun (Dai)

>>Chatan Yara no Sai

>>Hama Higa no Tonfa

>>Hama Higa no Sai

>>Sakugawa no Kun (Dai)

>>Shirotaro no Kun

>>Tawata no Sai

>>Kanegawa no Tinbe/Rochin

>>Yonegawa (Yuniga) no Kun

>>Kojo (Kugusuku) no Sai

>>Kanegawa Ni Cho no Kama

>>Choun no Kun

>>Tsuken Sunakaki no Eku (Chikin Shinagaki)

>>Urasoe (Urashi) no Kun

*Kobudo Kumite

>>Bo tai Sai Yakusoku Kumite

>>Bo tai Bo Yakusoku Kumite

>>Bo tai Eku Kumite

>>Bo tai Nunchaku Kumite

>>Bo tai Tonfa yakusoku Kumite

>>Shushi no kon Bunkai Kumite

Well, I guess it's time for me to iron-out some wrinkles, clear away some cobwebs, and shake off the dust.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That's great! Congratulations. I've always wanted to learn the Eku.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Thanks to all! This test covers 3 seperate days, it's NOT a closed-door test:

Day 1:

Kobudo Kata's

Day 2:

Kobudo Kumite

Day 3:

Oral Interviews, three (3) total, covering testing candidates Thesis material

I've always wanted to learn the Eku.

isshinryu5toforever,

You'd love the Eku; I do. Although, at first, it was more of a love and hate relationship between me and the Eku. Usually before learning Eku properly, one has to master the Bo. Some of the unique characteristics are the displaced center of gravity, its weight, it's heavier than the Bo, and is considered more difficult to master than the Bo. Techniques of the Eku are are dependant on its generated momentum of its large circular attacks, these are seen in its Kata. One of the coolest things about the Eku's blade is how it's used for creating/manipulating air pressure, therefore, giving it a higher acceleration/manouvering velocity. At first I thought the Eku would easily transfer from the Bo, but, boy was I wrong. The Eku isn't nowhere near the same as the Bo, although there are some similarities as far as transitional movements, other than that, Eku is the Eku and the Bo is the Bo.

I'm a little rusty on the main Kobudo Kata, Chinen Shikiyanaka no Kun, because I don't practice it as often as I should, which my Dai-Soke loves to remind me of over and over...I see where I get some of my loving qualities from when I'm on the floor...apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Having said that, time to practice!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!