• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Those who weight train. What is your regiment?

Weights can be very dangerous. If done right they can be very helpful. (they always do a little damage to tendons with each lift, but can be minimized with proper technique.) I see a lot of wrong techinque when lifting. That is not what I really am concetrating on here I really just want to know your regiment, and weather or not you do a lot of weight or less weight and more reps. :nod:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I concentrate more of Calisthenics and Pylometrics now, but when I did weight train at first I did a full body workout on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. This workout would consist of the important compound movements, such as bench press, military press, squat, and deadlift. After a few months of this I switched to swapping between upper and lower body workouts, which allowed more volume in each workout for each bodypart, and more rest in between. On week 1, it would be as following:

Monday Upper Body

Wednesday Lower Body

Friday Upper Body

then on week 2:

Monday Lower Body

Wednesday Upper Body

Friday Lower Body

after my body had adapted to that I started to use a split, which went as following:

Monday Chest, Triceps

Wednesday Back, Biceps

Friday Legs, Shoulders

I hope this is of some use. If you would like to do some research into weightlifting and routines, here are some webpages you can check out:

http://www.cyberpump.com

http://www.bodybuilding.com

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Field/4992/weights.html

Of course these webpages are more geered to bodybuilding, but by lowering the number of reps to 4-6, and sets to 4-5, you will create more of a strength routine, and if you use reps of 15+, more of an endurance routine.

I hope this helped, any questions feel free to ask. :smile:

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

I dont use weights anymore. For about 2 years I have been using weights to build muscular bulk. Then about a month ago when I got back into the martial arts I talked to a friend of my dads. Anyway he convinced me to stop bulking up and now the only weights I use is 1.1 kg weights for wrists and ankles. I build up strengh through muscular endurance and power without useing weights and I have never felt this great and strong.

Pilates for endurance, Plyometrics builds power and strengh without your muscles buliking up toi much. For Martial arts you should concentrate on the following:

Muscular strengh= Plyometrics

Muscular endurance=Pilates

Explosive Muscles(speed)=Plyometrics

Resperiotary endurance=any of these running, swimming, cycling

Flexibility=pilates, stretching

Run on Monday

Weight train Tuesday

Run on Wednesday

Weight train Thursday

Run on Friday

Bag work Saturday

Rest Sunday

I do light wieghts/high reps on leg curls. Works out my knees, without much pressure. I've got bad knees. Same ratio with forearm, calves, triceps, back. But with chest, biceps, hamstrings, quads, I put on as much wieght as possible with only 10 reps.

Canh T.

I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversations.

Well, I usually have a three-day split.

1st: chest, abs, lower back, upper back

2nd: tris, bis, forearms, shoulders

3rd: legs

4th: rest (usually, but sometimes I do some heavy bag work)

5th: bag work, martial arts training

6th: light bag work

7th: rest

I put on about as much wieght so as to make me fail after 8 reps. Also normally I only do one set. About three seconds up, pause, three seconds down. So far this has helped me to strengthen without really gaining size. It has helped with my power training too.

Dave :cool:

I always do weights in this order:

Chest

Shoulders

Arms

Back

Legs

Stomach

I mix weights also with plyometric exercises, which are a critical part of developing explosive power and anaerobic endurance that Karate so demands.

Roku-Dan - Soft teachers make soft students

[ This Message was edited by: AnonymousOne on 2002-07-10 00:56 ]

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Now thats its summer I go to the gym just about everyday with my 2 good friends. Im only 14 but I use my brother as my wieght trainer heh.

I usually do 3 reps of like 20/15/12 for just about everything. My daily work out usually consists of:

warmups (sit ups and dumbells)

then I go to usually work the shoulders, triceps and biceps. Then I go do calfs and and theighs. Then I end it with the bench.

By the way I bench about 130 and legpress about 350.