• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Running

white owl

Have increased the distance to over 4 miles per run and getting out 4x/week. Feel like I push it a lot but I'm still quite slow...

Main advantage for TKD has been on the cardio, I'm not sucking wind after forms or sparring drills like I used to. Kicks are another matter, feels like they are worse...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, running does nothing for your kicking muscles, you might as well be sitting on the couch that day for all the good it does your kicks. It's all slow twitch fiber work, which is distinct from the fast twitch that most eastern and european MA kicks use almost exclusively. That said, self defense is likely to call for some running, and you did note the effect on your cardio, so it's hardly wasted.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

I was told never to run until you are on or under your target weight. The stress on the joints running on a hard surface can take its toll. I run on a treadmill every now and again, I find it beneficial but a rower or cross trainer is better.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

I think it's all down to personal preference...and I'd admit that running is not for everyone and that there are plenty of other ways to get cardio conditioning.

I don't think I could take running on a treadmill, and I've tried 30+ minutes on an elliptical and on an exercise bike, found both very boring and they don't give me the workout intensity that an outside run does.

When I first started it was hard on the knees/ankles, but after dropping the weight I have not had significant issues there as long as I watch my form. I have found that it's important to have the right footwear, I was initially running with older cheaper sneakers and it was very painful on the feet.

Do wish there were more direct benefits to my MA training but I'm still pleased with how it helps me with my overall fitness.

• 2 weeks later...

First try at a 10K distance last weekend...thought I was pacing myself but when I hit the last little uphill before the end (1/4 mile at most to go) my legs were about to give out so I stopped, walked briefly, and then jogged the rest of the way. Think it was too much to go from 4.5 to 6 miles and the heat and humidity didn't help. Would have had a run time just under an hour if I didn't stop...

Will want to do that distance soon but I think I'll get in a few 5 mile runs in first. There's a 10K road race in September that I'm considering running.

I really only run intervals at present.

Usually 1.5minutes at 50-90% intensity (depending upon my week in goals), with 30 seconds rest, then repeat for up to 20 rounds. My aim is to increase this to 40 rounds in the coming months.

I find that long distance running, while good for cardio, is not in line with my MA goals.

Kyokushin in particular is based on endurance and strength, al-be-it there is a big cardio component, its a fine balance between too much cardio and losing strength, vs, being strong and not being able to run 1 mile (like a focus on powerlifting for example).

I do agree with the comments that treadmill running is not like outdoor/road running (meet-meep).

I can go for 30-40min straight on a treadmill at 11-14 kph, whereas get tired after 15min on the road at the same/similar pace.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

• 3 months later...

We have a requirement to run as part of Pre-Dan and 1st Dan grading. Think 1st Dans are expected to run about 7 miles with Sensei so yes we very much use running in training...

Our Sensei likes all his Blackbelts to be in peak physical condition.

That which does not kill us, must have missed us.

- Miowara Tomoka

We have a requirement to run as part of Pre-Dan and 1st Dan grading. Think 1st Dans are expected to run about 7 miles with Sensei so yes we very much use running in training...

Was there a time requirement or was it just being able to run the distance without stopping?

We don't have any running requirements, but I was invited to participate in testing at another school where they did have a running requirement. Not sure what they would require for someone my age but the younger male testing had to run 7 miles.

As mentioned before in this thread and based on my own experience, aside from the cardio benefit distance running really doesn't do much for MA. When I was training for my BB the recommendation was to do intervals instead of distance.

Was there a time requirement or was it just being able to run the distance without stopping?

We don't have any running requirements, but I was invited to participate in testing at another school where they did have a running requirement. Not sure what they would require for someone my age but the younger male testing had to run 7 miles.

As mentioned before in this thread and based on my own experience, aside from the cardio benefit distance running really doesn't do much for MA. When I was training for my BB the recommendation was to do intervals instead of distance.

There is no time limit its just make the distance. There is also short hill sprints too. We also do a interval training fitness class as well so we have a good mixture of fitness. I believe with the Wado Ryu style being about evasion much depends on fitness to allow for speed and agility over power.

That which does not kill us, must have missed us.

- Miowara Tomoka