• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Running

white owl

I have started running, and I do at least a mile each time I run. If I get 3 days a week, I'm doing pretty good. I am trying to bring it up to running for 15 minutes now, and will work towards getting a mile and a half in, and add from there.

Surprisingly, it hasn't been bothering my knees like I thought it would. Afterwards, I get a really good stretch, since I am warm.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have started running, and I do at least a mile each time I run. If I get 3 days a week, I'm doing pretty good. I am trying to bring it up to running for 15 minutes now, and will work towards getting a mile and a half in, and add from there.

Surprisingly, it hasn't been bothering my knees like I thought it would. Afterwards, I get a really good stretch, since I am warm.

Stretching is important! The older I get (and the more everything tightens up!) I find i need to stretch my calves and shins before I run.

Stretching before and after running, also serves as a good warmup / cooldown exercise. As we all should know -- sudden extreme heartrate fluctuations can preclude a cardiac event. I guess you could say, stretching your skeletal musculature prior to running, helps stretch the cardiac muscle too, lol.

I took up running about a year ago. I started out at running for just 5 minutes or so. The first month was pretty rough on me, as I was in a constant state of pain because I'd gotten away from significant exercise for so long my body wasn't used to it. But I persevered, and now a year later I consider a short run to be about 2 miles, and when I push myself, I can do a 10 mile run. I'm training to run a half-marathon this fall too.

• 2 years later...

Bumping this old thread...I started running back in the fall to build up cardio and hopefully lose a few pounds. Ended up dropping almost 20 pounds so far (190s to 170s).

I usually run 3 days a week with two runs of about 3.6 miles and the other a bit longer (4.4 miles). Had to take a break during the winter due to snow on the paths but I'm back into it now.

This spring/summer I'd like to get up to running 10Ks and/or running for about an hour...and after that who knows.

Only downside is that I have not been as good about stretching after the runs and my flexibility has decreased. Need to make the time to stretch.

Bumping this old thread...I started running back in the fall to build up cardio and hopefully lose a few pounds. Ended up dropping almost 20 pounds so far (190s to 170s).

I usually run 3 days a week with two runs of about 3.6 miles and the other a bit longer (4.4 miles). Had to take a break during the winter due to snow on the paths but I'm back into it now.

This spring/summer I'd like to get up to running 10Ks and/or running for about an hour...and after that who knows.

Only downside is that I have not been as good about stretching after the runs and my flexibility has decreased. Need to make the time to stretch.

I did running two days per week in the winter. Now, I'm planning to shorten the distance and increasing my speed. I've been jogging for too long, but I think running would be better.

Congrats on the weight loss :up:

I'm with you on the stretching. I always feel exhausted when I get back and never stretch off as well as I should.

I started a proper programme back in October after years of messing around at 3 miles. Got my first 1/2 marathon this Sunday.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I used to do a lot of running and did a couple of half marathons, I also didn't stretch enough afterwards - it might be worth pausing mid run to do stretches.

I'm not sure about stretching before running though, the best info keeps changing but I just walked for 5 mins first then again at the end to prevent any sudden changes and a gentle warm up/down.

I got some strange looks before the Bath Half marathon as I had jogged about a bit to warm up and was doing some very flexible stretching....

The only problem for me during running was having a knee problem, most of my running was on hard surfaces and I had a bad habit of stomping my left foot so eventually got a very sore knee.

I used to do a lot of running and did a couple of half marathons, I also didn't stretch enough afterwards - it might be worth pausing mid run to do stretches.

I'm not sure about stretching before running though, the best info keeps changing but I just walked for 5 mins first then again at the end to prevent any sudden changes and a gentle warm up/down.

I got some strange looks before the Bath Half marathon as I had jogged about a bit to warm up and was doing some very flexible stretching....

The only problem for me during running was having a knee problem, most of my running was on hard surfaces and I had a bad habit of stomping my left foot so eventually got a very sore knee.

I'm not so sure on the stretching beforehand either. What I tend to do is just to run the first couple of miles slower to ease everything out and then start going properly. Biggest problem for me at the minute is blisters. I've tried a couple of different shoes now and even went to get some properly fitted but still get horrible blisters.

Any general last minute tips to help me get my sorry behind round the course?

Good luck on that half marathon, Danielle. Very cool even to attempt it.

Thanks Brian :) Never again though!

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius