• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Running

white owl

Hmm...I might beg to differ about the cause of shin splints. It's typically considered an overuse injury and often related to shoes without enough cushion. Running shoes typically are only good for about 400 miles (of course this depends on the runner's physiology and terrain) and most of us wear them past that point. (The whole barefoot running argument is for another thread I think.) The best way to heal is the basic r.i.c.e. treatment, with the emphasis on rest. It can be pretty challenging for intense runners, but if you keep banging away they'll never fully recover. Take up swimming or cycling for your cardio work instead.

Sensei8, to answer your question about prevention make sure your shoes are still in good condition and remember that the cushion will wear out before there's any visible damage to the shoe. Take up weight training to strengthen the muscles in the lower leg / ankle, and run on softer surfaces.

Here's a link with some more basic information:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/shin-splints/DS00271

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually according to Runners World, Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome ( shin splints are caused by rolling your feet excessively inward ( over pronating).

To prevent this they say to wear motion-control shoes, and strengthening your calves by holding dumbells while doing toe raises. They also say if you have daily shinsplints for over a month, to see a doctor for a bone scan, because you may have a stress fracture.

Semper Fi , Dave

Check out some articles by Stew Smith. He's a big military/law enforcement fitness guy who has a lot of good running articles. He typically has his proteges skip running altogether on Week 3 of a 12-week program to avoid shin splints and has a few stretches and exercises to help avoid them.

The best stretch for shin splint avoidance I learned in the Marines. Find a curb or other similarly high surface, and put your toes on top of the surface but keep your heel on the ground. Then, just lean forward slightly and hold for 20-30 sec. Great stretch.

Kuma, do you find that flexing your foot helps your shin splints? For me it was a foot extension that helped, but I need a partner to really make it work well. I'll sit on the ground with my legs out in front of me and have somebody pull my feet away from me, towards the ground. It hurts so good.

Thanks kuma for sharing I am going to check him out I recently have been suffering with a pain in my calf and it usually goes away after I start running put just getting over the start of my run is a pain. :cry:

• 11 months later...

I've been running for a couple of months after quite a long time away from running. The easiest way to run (or any other exercise) is to incorporate it into your natural routine. I'm lucky enough to live in the forest and have a dog - so it's out on the trails first thing in the morning. It does seem to make me much more alert during the day and I feel I have more energy as well. Strangely enough, I was having some pain in my knees before running which I thought would get worse, but the running seems to have made it better! Must be something to do with working particular muscles.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

Just started a running program with a housemate. Neither of us are big runners but we're slowly building ourselves up. I think the hardest part is just getting yourself up and out to do it.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I like to get in 3-4 runs a week. Nomally between 3-6 km right now. I need to work up to 10km again but I have a few months to do that. Problem I have is that I do no running at all durning the winter. I hate tread mills and also running in the freezing cold. I may have to invest in a gym membership for next winter even though I don't like tread mills I hate the start up pain every spring more.

Funny running story. Last year I used to run through Kata in my head as I was running till my wife told me I was using my arms in what looked a flailing motion to her. Didn't realize I was doing the arms moves as I was running. I blame it on runners high.

Advice for those who suffer from shin problems. Take your foot and wet it and step on a peice of paper. Than go buy a set of shoes that the bottom matches the pattern your foot left on the paper. Sounds goofy but this advice was given to me and it worked.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll dial up the cardio when cutting weight; 3-5 times per week. I've been in maintenance mode lately, so I'm lucky to spin the hamster wheel once or twice a week.

For martial arts specific application, I like HIIT (high intensity interval training) on the treadmill. For instance -- 5 minute warmup, 10 minute light jog, recover at a walk for a few minutes, then crank up the speed and incline for 60-120 seconds, recover, repeat until dead! Cool down.

It would be analogous to a 30-40 minute spar / fight, with several all-out short blitzes.