white owl

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Running is a necessary evil for me. I hate it, but it's useful. 2 miles 2-3 times a week is plenty for me, I'd much rather be shadowboxing, hitting the bag, or skipping rope.

what kind of surface does everyone usaully run on?

And does it make any difference to the effort put in and the time of the run?

I actually don't mind the treadmill but also like hitting the road except the road where I run is really crappy and uneven. I want to trail run also it sounds like a nice experience being out in the woods , just you and nature.

Semper Fi , Dave

I think the reason I really like trail running is because it's more mentally engaging. You have to watch where you step, you're stride changes constantly, it requires more effort to keep your balance. While I'm thinking about that stuff I sort of lose track of how much running uphill hurts!

I run on the treadmill mostly because my road is crappy and I have a disc thinning in my lower back so I have trouble with it more so when I run on the road which is very on even and got pot holes that could swallow me whole (got to love what my taxes pay for :kaioken:). But I do like running out side.

We have a treadmill at home but I can rarely use it. I'm much more of a track or trail runner. Tracks especially for me are the best as then I know exactly how far I've gone so I can see my progress.

I ran on the local highschool track a couple of weeks ago, and I think I would rather run on a treadmill and get nowhere than run around in circles for 4 miles.

I wouldn't mind using the track for speed work, running sprints etc.

Semper Fi , Dave

• 4 weeks later...

What about shin spurs? How does one avoid them and the like?

I've ran 5 miles per day/5 days a week, weather permitting [Rain is for a duck and snow/ice is for penquins...I'm neither!] for as long as I can remember. I use to run at night until I almost got ran over...twice...in one week, now, I'll stick with a nice morning run...I can see the cars and they can see me.

:)

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Shin splints are caused by taking short strides and running more on your toes . So to avoid them, try lengthening out your stride and running heel to toe.

Semper Fi , Dave

Shin splints are caused by taking short strides and running more on your toes . So to avoid them, try lengthening out your stride and running heel to toe.

I agree. I take short strides and I am working on lengthening them and when I manage to do it my legs do not seem to hurt as much. I notice more when I run out side and running up a hills.