• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Running

white owl

I am just curious to see how many Martial Artist incorporate jogging into there training. And how far do you jog?

Ok, I will start. I just started running again a little over a month ago after 15 year lay off. I am now running 3 miles 4-5 days a week.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I run...Although I don't usually like it, it's a great, quick, way to get in some cardio exercise. I ran a half marathon two weeks ago, but usually I'll run 3-5 miles two weekdays and 6-10 on one weekend day. You know, I guess I do kinda like running, just not as much as I like drinking coffee and eating bagels!

wish i could run but my knees cant handle the impact, so i walk.

I walk between 10-15 km's a day with a 6km uphill hike on the weekend.

Usually 2-3 times per week, 2-3 miles each. A bit more right now because we have a grappling tourny coiming up.

what kind of surface does everyone usaully run on?

And does it make any difference to the effort put in and the time of the run?

Usually roadway. Sometimes, based on the weather, it'll be the treadmill. I then to go further and work harder outside, but that's just me.

Where the treadmill really comes in handy is forcing hill work and interval training.

Some people can be highly sensivtive to the enviornment they are running on. It is important to remember to vary it up a bit so no single part of the chain gets over stressed. So, don't run corners on the track the same way each time, switch sides of the street so the crest dosn't impact the same leg on the high side each stride, things like that.

Mainly, however, it's only people doing signifigant milage per week that are really affected by such things. Still something to keep in mind.

I run 3 times a week - about 2 miles. I also do it carrying a 5kg dumbell in each hand. I don't know if it's a particularly good idea? I just had them lying around so decided to incorporate them.

It certainly makes your cardio work hard. It also makes running VERY pleasant when you decide to leave them at home for a change! :)

Dave, 10-12 miles a day multiple days per week? That's a high mileage week!

My favorite runs are on trails in the foothills that are so close to Salt Lake City. But it often seems weird to drive somewhere to run. Then I just pound pavement. I find treadmills to be miserable. My wife made me try one again recently. I'll run outside in the rain and snow and dark just to avoid the dang things! Tallgeese is right on about varying your workouts, directions on a track, etc. to help avoid overuse injuries.

I've found that my workouts, except swimming, are all better in the afternoon or early evening. I heard a theory about that relating to high school sports and training my body to work hard during that time slot. But even after spending some time in the Marines and running at 5:00 in the morning I never got used to it. It just feels like my body's not awake and warmed up yet. Does anybody else experience that? Especially the LEO's who probably have crazy work schedules.