• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Physical Demands on Testing and Classes

Hi,

I'd just like to ask for clarification on a simple little thing. When you (anyone reading) says we do ’80 pushups’ for such a test do that mean 80 pushups without rest? Or is it 80 pushups in say under 5 minutes. I’m wondering cause the physical demands seem to be too great for some people.

For example there's a thread going around about a 100 pushups program people use - and mostly people are counting being able to do 80, 85, 90 pushups by adding the total of each rep together 25+20+23+16 = 84 for example. And with set rest intervals this roughly equates to 84 pushups in under 5 minutes. Is that how it’s counted in testing or is it all at once – no rest – where you are?

Same thing with situp numbers (100) and punching, blocking, and kick numbers (500 each) – all in one rep?

I’m just wondering if I need to step up my gym program, cause some of these numbers for pushups and situps sound outlandish for the average gym rat, ma practicioner, or other hobby-level athlete. I know some are able to put in the time to build up their body, but most adults practicing do not have that time available to them to exercise except for the class time, so these numbers make me say ‘wow’ unless rest is allowed within a certain set time.

Thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, at least for my current school, the fitness requirement must be completed in under 4.5 minutes-a cumulative effort of 50 each: pushups, situps, leg raises, side crunches (both sides), back extensions. In addition to that we have a timed run.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I'd say train so you can do it all in one set. The beauty about bodyweight training is you can do it every day provided you're not physically crushing yourself.

For example, your test says 80 pushups, right? On Monday, drop down and test out your max. Let's say you can do 50 pushups, a nice even number. For the rest of the week, do half that amount (25) every day. The next Monday, test yourself again. Let's say you get 60 pushups this time. Do the same, only this time doing 30 pushups. And so on. Nice, easy, and progressive.

Old military trick, where when a PFT was coming up, you just did the minimum daily so by the time the test comes around, you know already you can pass so you blast right through it and get a great score.

When I type in my amounts, I put reps and sets.

The goal of the 100 push-up routine that you see floating around is to get to the point that one can do 100 consecutive push-ups. As for testing requirements, I think it depends on the school. But, when someone writes out 80 push-ups, I take it as 80 consecutive.

Back extensions? - That's like the reverse situp, as I call it, right? Requires equipment as you're torso is hanging vertical before rotating it (lifting it) to horizontal, right?

Yes, reverse situps. We do them on the floor with someone sitting on our legs.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Well thank goodness this isn't a grading requirement at our club...i would collapse!! :lol: I can't even do five push ups let alone 80 :o I can just make 20 sit ups and 20 leg lifts. All we have to do is an extra warm up at the start of the grading, the rest is up to the Karateka.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

• 3 weeks later...

Our physical requirements for black belt are...

-50 pushups

-75 bicep curls with 15-lb dumbbells (10 for girls)

-200 jump rope

-75 military presses with 15s

-75 corkscrew punches with 15s

-75 crunches

-500 front kicks

-5 minutes speed punching

This takes about an hour, and it's the first part of the 6-7 hour test.

If one has to do PT as part of a Black Belt test, I think that this is...silly...overkill. Wouldn't the Sensei know by the Black Belt test if the candidate is physically fit or not?

Besides, shouldn't the Black Belt test be on the three K's? Calisthenics starts with a 'C' not a 'K'!

Our physical requirements for black belt are...

-50 pushups

-75 bicep curls with 15-lb dumbbells (10 for girls)

-200 jump rope

-75 military presses with 15s

-75 corkscrew punches with 15s

-75 crunches

-500 front kicks

-5 minutes speed punching

As admirable as this is...aren't these candidates blown-up by then, therefore, their test might suffer?!?!

We do a normal warm up but that's it! After that...it's test time!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!