• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What style do you study? And Why?

I study Goshin Jutsu. It is very well rounded. I do want to study many other style but their isn much else in my area. Hapkido, Shotokan, Aikido, Kendo, Silat, and Tai Chi are all styles I would study if they had them around here.

I started martial arts when I was ten. It has ever since been a big part of my life. I know for a fact that I would probably have been into drugs and other such items if it werent for the arts.

I first joined to learn to "beat someone up". I stayed in it because I found the real value in it. Have only been in one fight and that ended with no injuries on the other persons part because I knew enough to not go to far (since it was in school)

It became a big part of my life and my personal code of living. In spare time if i ever have any I research other styles. I believe you should always know what is out there in your particular hobby or art.

I now do martial arts for only my own benefit but to help others whom I teach also. Im far from a master but I do not care about even being a master. I just want to learn all I can and pass it down to others and instill some discipline, honesty, and maturity in people and hopefully make a difference. :wave:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kyokushin for three years. I started because i quit the wrestling team (messy issue) and needed something to keep me in shape.

Unfortunatly my school closed. Since then I've been training at home (got the punching bag) and with some of the other people from the school. Going to try and find new place in fall.

As for beating someone up i've had to a few times because

-he wanted my wallet

-he "grabbed" a female friend of mine

-he had hit my little sister (right in front of me to)

happy no one was seriosly hurt

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky"

-Hendrix

I started in Tang Soo Do. Well, when I started, I wasn't looking for an "art". I wanted to learn self defense for a job I had (security). I found the TSD dojang (which also taught Combat Hapkido). After a month or two, I fell in love with the "art" part of martial arts. It got me in shape, helped me with disipline, self esteem .... the mental part is awsome, too.

Now I do TKD, because I moved. I couldn't find a TSD and/or Hapkido school. But I did find a TKD school that trains the old fashion way (not just sport). I think my school is rare among the "sport" TKD dojangs, and I love it.

Laurie S.

Green belt TKD

(formally 5th gup blue belt TSD)

[ This Message was edited by: karatekid1975 on 2002-07-06 13:58 ]

Laurie F

I started in Kenpo karate and I loved it because of the flowing hand techniques.

Then I took up Chito-ryu(an off-shoot of Shorin-ryu) and worked very hard in it. I liked it because the instructor had trained in aikido, kendo, and american boxing, as well as the chito ryu and he incorperated it into the system.

At the same time I studied Kodokan Judo and it is a passion of mine, so many ways to throw and so few apponents.

I also studied Boxing. It was good for increasing my hand speed and punching power.

I also study Goju-ryu karate. Good for me in my quest to expand my knowledge.

While I was training in chito ryu I dabbled in Isshinryu(it was easy to pick up due to my training in chito ryu which shares a similar lineage). It is great for combat training.

The only systems I train in now are Goju ryu, Chito ryu, and Judo. Even though I still use the Kenpo drills for blocking stiking and kicking. Plus I use the punching combinations I learned in boxing.

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

Started and still do Shotokan 10 years ago. It was the only club in town but it was a good one. In college I tried a few things to see what I liked but I stuck with American TAO which is TSD, Hipakido and Kung Fu put together. Also done a big og Ju-Jitsu.

As far as why I first got into martial arts to help me as a athlete playing footbal. Sometime in the first few months I feel in love with it oh. lol.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I began studying Aikido when I was around six years old but when I got to high school, I quit b/c of distractions. After high school, I started training in traditional kung fu but I found that I wanted something a bit more acrobatic and demonstrative and formy, plus I felt like I was moving up too fast and I wanted to refine all of my basics, so I switched to a WTF taekwondo school. I also took modern wushu for a quarter but I could not afford to train at two m/a schools at once so I left the wushu/taiji academy to stay with taekwondo. Right now, I experiment and try to do fight choreograpy and demonstrations with my brother and some friends while sticking and refining my tkd.

Although at first I was much more into the self-defense aspect of martial arts, my interest as turned more towards the side of scientific training, kinesiology, body mechanics, and health. I'm trying to incorporate my interest in this area with my academics and right now I'm trying to go for my degree in athletic training at Washington State University. :smile:

'Conviction is a luxury for those on the sidelines'

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'

I primarily study Aikido, which I have been doing for about 11 years now. It yields to the attack, yet has a sharp precision to it. This makes it easy and effective to incorporate my Shotokan and Shuai Chiao training into it as well. Aikido is an excellent martial art, both practical and very spiritual. Hitting the sparring mat a dozen times with your amr twisted into a pretzel is good for the body and mind! Or so my sensei claims. :roll:

d-:-o-:-)-:-(-:-o-:-P

I study Ki Aikido. There are some who say that it cant handle an other martial artist, or some one has to attack you like crazy. But I know in my dojo those rules dont applie like in ALL other Aikido dojos. Aikido teachs you to calm the mind to allow the techniques to flow. Its great that I know I'll be better at it when I am sixty than I am at 30. Because the techniques require no muscle or strength. Unlike the harder martial arts. (Not putting them down in anyway). All martial arts lead to enlightenment, no matter the path that one takes.

Its one of the few martial arts that I have studied that I really cant wait until the next lesson. it helps that I have one of the top Sensei's in the country.

All the best in what you study.

Cheers

Chris

American Tae Kwon Do/ITF variation, also a little shootfigting, and some regular judo to round off the rough edges, just in case we need some skills in the horizontal position close to terra firma :wink:

Peace

http://community.webshots.com/user/jakmak521

Best regards,

Jack Makinson

I first got into karate when I was 8 as I was influenced by the kung fu films. Later I stopped when I was about 10 finishing on black belt. Then about 2 months ago I wanted to back in. I mainly wanted this because I realized being strong is not better than learning a martial art. I wanted to back in to be the best fighter I could be. I joined kickboxing over a month ago and about 2 weeks after that I joined karate at the same organisation.