• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The simple press-up

Bastich

When i returned to karate three weeks ago i was amazed at how phsically tired i was the following day. Most of this was caused by the press-up exercises we were instructed to do. I could hardly lift my arms and my chest was bruised.

I have since started to do a least 100 hundred press-ups every day along side my stretching. Not all in one go i might add usually about 30 at time.

Now what i have noticed in a very short time is the obvious toning of the arms but also the stomach, chest and back. I cannot recommend press-ups enough. A simple exercise that i never gave proper credit to.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It is a good exercise, and I have been trying to do more of them. Its been sporadic at best for me lately, so I'm going to try to get my routine going again.

I'm actually unfamiliar with the term press-up, are these push ups or something similar?

If so, are you doing them any specific way to feel them so much? Nothing like a small morning routine especially if it can be done in a reasonable amount of space! :karate:

push ups/press ups are great for your upper body muscles but also for joints and cartilage in your shoulders and spine.

I know you can do push ups on your fists and fingertips with benefits for those immediate area's.

Any other varients on the push up?

There's probably an infinite variety. Maybe we can all spice this thread up a bit and share some of our favorites.

Here's some of mine:

**Diamond/kanku pushups, hands together forming a triangle under your chest.

**Elevated pushups, feet up on high object

**Handstand pushups, walk up wall so you're facing it then do some pushups

**Superman pushups, extend your arms as far as you can and keep them close.

**Clapping pushups, on the up part push up and clap your hands then back to the pushup position so you don't land on your face.