• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New Guy - Squatting, low stances, problems.

akedm

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm no expert in this field, but I was wondering if you perhaps have had a chance to talk to any kineisiologists about this? They might have some advise for you.

Akedm,

First of all I was a personal trainer in college, still coach adult running classes through the university of Utah, and have taken college anatomy and physiology. (Be careful with trainers, there's no national standard for it, so somebody could just have "Joe's PT Certification" but not know anything. The ACSM is the gold standard, but ACE and AAFA are good too.) The angle of your ankle doesn't look too abnormal. The video you posted of the beefcake squating showed pretty good form - his stance might be wider than I would recommend (not realistic translation to daily life or athletics), but not too shabby. I used to tell folks it's like taking a dump in the woods and you don't want to get any on your shoes. Keep your spine flexed (not rounded forward) stick your butt out, and lean forward as needed to keep your balance. Start with body weight squats and watch your form in the mirror. Hold your hands in front of you or behind your head to help you keep your balance and your torso as vertical as possible, but IT'S OK TO BEND AT THE WAIST! If you're ready for weight try a front squat; the weight will be in front of you on your shoulders and it will help you stay more vertical and potentially take some strain off your ankle.

Good Luck!

Bushido, I had no idea such a word existed. :) But now that I googled it for Anchorage, Alaska, and found a fair number of results, I'll consider that - make a few phone calls first. Thank you very much for the new direction.

Sperki, I'll never have the same visual for squatting the same way again, and I dont know if I should thank you for that. :) But I hear you - the curvature, the bending. I'm already using one for the large gym mirrors to check my profile, and I'll continue to work on it. Thank you for your tips - all of them.

Bushido, I had no idea such a word existed. :) But now that I googled it for Anchorage, Alaska, and found a fair number of results, I'll consider that - make a few phone calls first. Thank you very much for the new direction.

Hey, you're welcome. I'm glad it got you looking around. I'm also pleased that I was able to expand your vocabulary a bit....:D I had to take that class in college, and I learned lots of really big words in it. :lol: