• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cardio before weight training

I enjoy the eliptical (it is one of those that has the arms for working the upper body too) because it is low impact, good for both joints and breathing, plus I can cruise along at about 70 RPM at a mid range setting for about half an hour. I'm working up a great sweat and my quads are really burning by the time I get done.

I think it is mainly diet, I probably eat too much in the way of carbs. Though I do eat pretty healthy. I have my grease day where I'll eat whatever I want, but other than that I stick to healthy well balanced meals.

Whole grain is good for you, it adds more b vitamins to burn more energy from the food you eat.

And try to eat less bloating foods, like stay away from big portions of green vegetables, they are good for you but dont gorge on them.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoy the eliptical (it is one of those that has the arms for working the upper body too) because it is low impact, good for both joints and breathing, plus I can cruise along at about 70 RPM at a mid range setting for about half an hour. I'm working up a great sweat and my quads are really burning by the time I get done.

I think it is mainly diet, I probably eat too much in the way of carbs. Though I do eat pretty healthy. I have my grease day where I'll eat whatever I want, but other than that I stick to healthy well balanced meals.

That could be your answer right there. How many times per week do you use the elliptical as well? If you're using it 3x a week, try bumping it up to 4.

I work out every day. It is something different every day with the except of my abs and my time on the eliptical. I will give interval training a try and spend a week or so chaing how fast I am going instead of cruising at the same RPM for 30 minutes

I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.

~Socrates

There is nothing impossible to him who will try.

~Alexander the Great

Running prior to weights is fine. Just accept that you're running willl be primary for your training intensity. And it sounds like that's what you're looking for anyway.

As another option, look at crossfit.com

It's a training protocol that I use quite a bit. I use it on days I'm not lifting or doing ma. It's a great program. Just watch some of the people on the site, they are a bit rabid at times.

I have heard that the body can only be in one state at a time: I don't remember the technical terms, but the jist is that you can either be in a weight-gaining mode (like lifting), or a weight-losing mode (like aerobic work). So trying to do both isn't too benefical together. Or so it is said. So, perhaps you should look into breaking up the workout times to different times of the day, like cardio in the morning, and lifting in the afternoon.

A lot of it is diet really. If calories in > calories out, you'll gain weight. If calories out > calories in, you'll lose weight. You have a fixed rate that burns calories throughout the day according to your weight and activity level (your Basal Metabolic Rate) which if you laid in bed all day long and didn't move, you would still burn X amount of calories.

A lot of it is diet really. If calories in > calories out, you'll gain weight. If calories out > calories in, you'll lose weight. You have a fixed rate that burns calories throughout the day according to your weight and activity level (your Basal Metabolic Rate) which if you laid in bed all day long and didn't move, you would still burn X amount of calories.

At one time I was told that calorie intake is not as bad as Carb intake when trying to lose the stomach flab...is the true?

So it is ok that its fatty (low saturated and no trans) but low in carb?

In example a hot dog...