• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A training conundrum...

bushido_man96

I do think that these factors can be mitigated by properly structuring the drills to accomodate their level. I also am in a minority that we don't need to stress perfectin in movment initally prior to moving on in either intensity or options. An accptable facsimile of the movement will do just fine to start with. You can tighten it down as you go. Mind you, I'm not talking about wholesale sloppiness here, just and acknowledgement that, at a rudimentary level the student it processing the movement. You can now correct on the fly AND give him a more realistic feel at the same time.

I agree with you here. I also think that this is the main sticking point with the schools that like to hit basics hard and heavy; the instructors might be concerned that by jumping in too early that by not locking down the basics, they won't be able to throw good, strong techniques. I also think that it has something to do with the schools being heavy curriculum based, testing-focused schools.

What is being overlooked is that no predator out there is going to wait for someone to develop their basics before they attack them. So, better to get used to that 2-person movement early on.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I guess I am in the minority too. My teaching is to style is to teach the "patterns" to students and them tweak them as they progress-gross movements become finer, larger movements become smaller, simple becomes more complex, etc. This develops the habit first so that reaction becomes quicker sooner.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/