7th Kyu White Belt (Two Black Stripes)

6th Kyu Green Belt

5th Kyu Green Belt

4th Kyu Green Belt

3rd Kyu Brown Belt

2nd Kyu Brown Belt

1st Kyu Brown Belt

Then after it's Black Belt

The only difference between the possible and the impossible is one's will.

- Hironori Ohtsuka Sensei -

• 3 weeks later...

In Ashihara (Ashihara Karate International):

White

White Kyu

Blue

Blue Kyu

Yellow

Yellow Kyu

Green

Green Kyu

Brown

Brown Kyu

Black

In Goju Ryu (Panamerican Okinawa GojuRyu Karate Federation):

White

Yellow

Orange

Orange Kyu

Green

Green Kyu

Blue

Blue Kyu

Brown

Brown Kyu

Black

On a side note...whats the reason for the multitude of styles that use two blue belts and three brown belts?

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

Hmmm I can understand back in the older days it may have taken time for the brown to get so dirty that it would turn black, but why do some styles have two or three blue belts? And why is their some styles that have striped belts?...I think those are far from being traditional.

Hmmm I can understand back in the older days it may have taken time for the brown to get so dirty that it would turn black, but why do some styles have two or three blue belts? And why is their some styles that have striped belts?...I think those are far from being traditional.

To be honest, I think the whole "belt getting filthy and turning to black" is just a myth. Especially given the emphasis on hygeine in Eastern culture and in your typical dojo.

My style uses striped belts. Always has, ever since it was "created". Is that not traditional? To me stripes make a lot more sense than having a greater number of coloured belts.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

To be honest, I think the whole "belt getting filthy and turning to black" is just a myth. Especially given the emphasis on hygeine in Eastern culture and in your typical dojo.

My style uses striped belts. Always has, ever since it was "created". Is that not traditional? To me stripes make a lot more sense than having a greater number of coloured belts.

Korean Culture and Japanese culture are to different things. Koreans have earned themselves the nickname (Atleast with TKD) the pretty art, They are always neat and clean how ever Karate at its fullest and in depth training is dirty and rugged. I have trained under students of Matayoshi Shinpo, and Taira Shinken. They have passed down the knowledge of their arts to their students, and then on.

It is true when the belt began it was white, and then it turned to a filthy dirty color ( brownish black). Of course Green, and blue would never be the case. Alot of older hombu dojos originated on the beaches and in the woodland areas.