• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Define 'dynamic' karate

Shotokan-kez

Hello all,

I have been wondering about this for a few weeks and was intending to get your views, so here i am. :D

What exactly is dynamic karate? I feel my style is strong, disciplined, powerful ect ect, is this classed as dynamic. The way i see dynamic is like TKD, the flying and spinning kicks and things like that. We don't do things like that, we have the odd jump kick or other kinds of jumps in our kata's but no fancy dynamic kicks.

What styles of karate would you consider dynamic? Thanks for your thoughts. :)

Kez :karate:

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think dynamic karate is Dynamic! lol

Actually, my interpretation of dynamic karate is when you visulize karate in true defense/ needed offensive situations and practice/perform/execute your technique to that realistic level.

Dynamic doesn't mean that technique has to be as hard and loud as you can make it, but realistic in real life situations - whether hard, soft, fast, slow, powerful, fluid, etc... Tempo varies, intensity varies, purpose varies, but yet realisltic in execution.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

Shotokan-Kez

I would say the type of Dymanics you are looking for in Martial arts is Psychodynamics. This is the study of the interrelationship of various parts of the mind, personality, or psyche as they relate to mental, emotional, or motivational forces especially at the subconscious level.

Also looking at its meaning

dynamic (Adjective)

1. (of a person) full of energy, ambition, or new ideas

2. relating to a force of society, history, or the mind that produces a change: the government needs a more dynamic policy towards the poor

3. Physics relating to energy or forces that produce motion [Greek dunamis power]

dynamically adv

Collins Essential English Dictionary 2nd Edition 2006 © HarperCollins Publishers 2004, 2006

In all Dynamic is about the Karateka as they develop no matter what their style etc.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

When I think of "dynamic," I think of explosive movement. Not that my interpretation is the end-all, be-all; it isn't. But when I hear the word, that's what comes to mind.

By definition, Karate is dynamic...see the definition provide by Dobbersky.

I have never seen this term used to define a specific sector of Karate. I would say that those who do...may not have a true/full understanding of how Karate is supposed to be performed.

I suppose that one could use the word dynamic in the psychological sense to differ their karate from traditional. Meaning that they allow things to change to "fit the times." But, in my opinion, karate already does that if you know it well enough.

In the end...I think someone decided to use it to make a little extra money and segregate themselves from the mainstream karate.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Personally I see the word "Dynamic" within karate in terms the relationship between you and an attacker.

Not in the big and flashy fireworks display sense of the word, but in the subtle flexible and automatic adjustment required in order to interact with an opponent.

My thoughts are that it is words like Dynamic, that can take your karate off the rails, when you try too much to make your karate big and flashy for the sake of appearance - for external show rather than function.

Nice powerful kicks are great, but they are useless in combat without the dynamics of interaction.

"A lot of people never use their initiative.... because no-one told them to" - Banksy

https://www.banksy.co.uk

I agree with whats been said so far. Dynamic in retrospect can mean a lot of things considering. Some of the situation, surroundings and so forth.

I dont think to me in opinion would stem to something like xma. Thats just flashy moves to look good for a jugde.

When I hear the word "dynamic" I always think of continuous change or adaptation. So, I would consider "dynamic karate" that which teaches you to adapt to the environment that you find yourself in if you have to use your skills. I think most MA schools do this. However, I guess a school pushing the "dynamic" title might have training sessions in street clothes, plenty of sd work against common weapon attacks, focus on learning how to use readily available weapons (such as sticks), common unarmed attack scenarios with less focus on tournament participation, traditional weapons, and point-style fighting.

Ed

The term 'Dynamic' immediately puts me on guard as a 'buzz word' - who would want to claim that the art they do is -not- 'dynamic'? I would be wary if a specific explanation of what specific shift in focus is represented as "dynamic" is not presented; I would remain wary until one can isolate a down side to the dynamic nature entailed.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia