• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Frequency of promotions.

quinteros1963

Testing is held at our school every 3 months. The first 2 ranks are tested for in class, and there are no time in rank requirements. After that students start testing at the official tests, and the required time in rank is 3 months. Once you hit the higher color belt ranks, time in rank is at least 4 months (6 months being more usual). There are actually 3 schools in the area that are a part of our organization, and each one holds testing ever 3 months, alternating. So if someone misses a testing at our school, they can test at another school the next month if they are ready.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For us, coloured belt tests are held every 3 months. You have to be asked by the instructor to attend though so there is no guarentee that you will test every time. At the later belts most people wait a bit longer. Blackbelt exams are held every 6 months by the org and again you have to be invited to go. Minimum time between belts is 1.5 year to 2nd dan, 2 year to 3rd, 3 year to 4th, etc. all the way up until 6th where you have to be invited to test for 7th (master) and above that is only decided by the orgs commitee. You can cut blackbelt times down if you want by attending an international seminar (usually 3 days and held by one of the masters), but that'll only take off a few months and in any case most people take a lot longer than the minimum time to be physically proficient enough (and a lot want to compete at this level).

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

About 3 to 6 months between coloured belts, but it can vary. I went 7 months between 4th kyu and my first attempt at 3rd kyu (which I failed first time around), and then retested 4 months after that - so 11 months in all between 4th and 3rd kyu.

It took me almost exactly 5 years to gain shodan. I was happy because I achieved it before my 40th birthday, which was my goal.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

Shotokan takes between 3.5 to 4 years for 1st dan, then 2 years for 2nd, another 2 years min. for 3rd.

I don't like the idea of one year/one dan upgrade. This means that someone taking a style for 10 years could be a 9th degree - which I don't think is right.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" Confucius

http://graniteshotokan.wordpress.com

• 2 weeks later...

When I was Grading for 9, 8, and 7th Kyu the wait to Grade was 3-4 Months. But to Grade for a new Colour Belt (I am going for 6th Kyu 1st Green Belt) the wait is 6 months.

The only difference between the possible and the impossible is one's will.

- Hironori Ohtsuka Sensei -

It seems that most schools are more or less the same. I've come to the conclusion that when its time to test my sensei will let me know. I want to reach shodan so badly, I can't wait! However I am learning that its all about the journey. I am beginning to grasp new techniques and love it. I love MA thanks for the posts. So I'll wait the usual 2-3 for stripes and 5-6 months between color promotions.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

For us kyu grades are 3 monthly up to 3rd kyu. From 3rd kyu to 1st kyu its 6 months between. From 1st kyu to Shodan its anything up to a year at the chief instructors discretion. 2 years 2nd dan, 3 years 3rd dan, 4 years 4th dan ect ect.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

Let me think for a second.....

At my school, I think it takes about a year to get to your first promotion. Then another year and a half (aprox. took me longer) to the next one.

5 years to first dan from white belt

1 year to second dan from first

2 years to third dan from second

3 years from third dan to forth

...and so on up to tenth dan.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

We are usually allowed to test every 3 mos(in some cases sooner). Thats not a belt promotion, its a stripe or tip in between belts. So its 6 mos from belt to belt up to brown, then it takes over a year and a half from brown to shodan. It takes nearly four years to go from beginner to black belt.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!