• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wearing Gi outside of Dojo?

Our Master Instructor insists that a complete uniform be worn at all times in the dojang therefore many students interpret this to mean they must wear it in the door and out the door. I myself never wear it outside the dojang unless at a tournament or official function.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was on vacation in okinawa...(three month vacation with my girlfriend) we stopped at numerous Dojo and practiced with the people...they seemed to have only kept the technique traditional, the small formalities such as Obi, Gi, and Dojo Kun are not really their anymore.

Which goes to show that discipline is givin to them through martial arts training and that they think of the uniform and sash and just something that they can get torn up without worrying about having to replace it...atleast that as my interpretation.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

Our Master Instructor insists that a complete uniform be worn at all times in the dojang therefore many students interpret this to mean they must wear it in the door and out the door. I myself never wear it outside the dojang unless at a tournament or official function.

8)

I myself do not wear my gi to the dojo or tournaments either. To much of risk on getting something on it but there is people who do and I think there is nothing wrong with wear your gi bottom in but I think the gi top should be put on after you arrive at the dojo or tournament, less chance of looking sloppy then.

I never wear the gi or the t-shirt I got from my gym outside of class. Firstly because I don't want to give off a "I can take you on!" vibe, and secondly because even if I did I can't back up my words yet! :P

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

When I leave the dojo I'm soaked in sweat... pants, rash guard, top, even belt. As soon as class ends I wash myself down a bit in the sink, apply some baby powder and some deodarant, change into my sweats for the subway ride home, and chew some gum to get rid of the saltyness.

I could never imagine leaving the dojo in my gi. Doesn't help that it's a 40lbs Judo gi :wink:

Honestly the only people I ever see wandering around in their gi's is a budo taijitsu/ninjitsu class that used to be run in Central Park. I always thought it was funny that they would travel to and from the park in their black gi's, and tied off pant legs. To me, that's just asking for trouble.

When I was on vacation in okinawa...(three month vacation with my girlfriend) we stopped at numerous Dojo and practiced with the people...they seemed to have only kept the technique traditional, the small formalities such as Obi, Gi, and Dojo Kun are not really their anymore.

Which goes to show that discipline is givin to them through martial arts training and that they think of the uniform and sash and just something that they can get torn up without worrying about having to replace it...atleast that as my interpretation.

The uniform and dojo kun are Japanese creations that have been in karate only since the 1920's or so. There are a fair number of Okinawans who consider themselves Okinawan first and Japanese second, so I wouldn't be too surprised if some didn't want to incorporate Japanese additions to 'their' art (although this is conjecture on my part).

Honestly the only people I ever see wandering around in their gi's is a budo taijitsu/ninjitsu class that used to be run in Central Park. I always thought it was funny that they would travel to and from the park in their black gi's, and tied off pant legs. To me, that's just asking for trouble.

Central park in a gi...I've seen stranger there myself :P

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

We don't have a specific rule on this. We may wear or gi as and when we like. I personally don't wear it outside the dojo, just because it attracts trouble and i would feel a little silly. However, i do wear it to and from the dojo, just because i am in a car. If i didnt have a lift then i would wear my normal clothes and got changed when i arrived.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

I have a different opinion than most it seems...I've worn my gi to the grocery store, gas station, Wal-mart, etc... Now, I've only done this as I was going to or coming from class, but I view these moments as an opportunity to advertise and promote. I served 4 years as a military recruiter, and one of the best tools was wearing the uniform, so I see my gi in a similar light. As for "looking for trouble", I have never had anyone say anything negative - and in a world were every average Joe is wearing a Tapout or Affliction t-shirt, trying to look like Randy Couture or something...wearing a gi at the drug store doesn't seem that big a deal.

Most of the students at my old studio wore at least their gi pants to and from the studio because we only had one very small bathroom, and it would be hard for all of the students to get changed before class.