• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Discipline

with the kids, we usually had a time out. If they got too loud, started doing the looking around while do techniques, or picking on (even laughing) at someone or something. They sat down for usually 5 to 10 mins.

Adults hated when I was going through class. Where I just got out of the army I loved doing pushups and sit ups. If they started getting carried away it was usually till the black belt got tired then they could stop.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone got fair warning when they started. Whenever things would go a bit goofy and chatter was getting too loud, I had a simple solution.

I would stand in the center of the room and say three, two. Nobody ever wanted me to get to one because it would always be followed with one hundred side kicks for the whole room.

I didn't take too many times till the person nearest to me would shut down the chatter quickly. After all, if they wanted to waste my time, I had something for them to do.

So my answer was as simple as 3, 2, 100 side kicks.

Nobody ever wanted me to get to one because it would always be followed with one hundred side kicks for the whole room.

Those people must have developed some solid side-kicks, I wish I got to do that aswell hehe.

One of my old instructors would use what he called "concentration" side kicks. You'd grab a piece of wall to hold your balance, then chamber for a side kick. Kick 5 seconds out, then hold..........................................then 5 seconds back, then.....hold.................................and repeat as often as necessary.

Ours is very much like Brians. Always bow before entering and leaving the dojo. Hands to the side and feet together when being addressed by the sensei. Never talk/chew gum/smoke ect in the dojo. We don't usually have a problem. Someone mentioned before that their sensei rarely gets angry but when he does it's scary. Well thats just like mine so people generally behave themselves.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

We bow before entering and living the dojo. Everything is yes sensei or no sensei. If people are talking, yawning or just not listening punishment is burp-ees, push ups, or wall sits. Usually do not have a problem in the adult class but sometimes in the children's class.

Everyone got fair warning when they started. Whenever things would go a bit goofy and chatter was getting too loud, I had a simple solution.

I would stand in the center of the room and say three, two. Nobody ever wanted me to get to one because it would always be followed with one hundred side kicks for the whole room.

I didn't take too many times till the person nearest to me would shut down the chatter quickly. After all, if they wanted to waste my time, I had something for them to do.

So my answer was as simple as 3, 2, 100 side kicks.

Nobody ever wanted me to get to one because it would always be followed with one hundred side kicks for the whole room.

Those people must have developed some solid side-kicks, I wish I got to do that aswell hehe.

If I ever get to Sweden I'll tell you to do one hundred side kicks.

Our instructor does give push ups if things get out of hand. Mostly, all he has to do is get really quiet and everyone straightens right up.

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

Do you feel the methods of instilling discipline are effective for the majority of individuals? That is, both inside and outside the dojo?

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I think it worked with our school. The big thing with my teacher is report cards with kids that I forgot to mention earlier. If they arent doing well in school he gives them a time frame to keep coming to class but to get those grades up first.

And with adults its usually the pushup routine or sit in zen and count your breaths exhales, then inhales.

Do you feel the methods of instilling discipline are effective for the majority of individuals? That is, both inside and outside the dojo?

I do feel that it is effective inside and outside of the dojo for kids and adults. Being an assistant instructor, I know that my behavior towards others could directly affect my instructors program. If I acted upon some anger issues I may have towards someone or something, and for some reason they come in and check the school out and see me as an instructor, they may think twice about becoming a member of the school. You probably think, well what are the chances of that. Very good actually, as i am an ER nurse and deal with the public everyday. The same public that at times is awful and can make you very mad. The same public that comes into the ER at any time with " I hurt my thumb 3 years ago and I want it checked out right now and by the way I am in a hurry," public. It can make you mad. So for the sake of my instructor and his school, I try to keep my anger, self discipline, and professionalism in check all the time. TRY, i said. :wink:

Live life, train hard, but laugh often.

I think it keeps things in line inside of class. Outside of class, I can't be positive that any examples I make in the 2 or 4 hours that I spend with these individuals in a week will have any affect on the type of person that they have already become. All I can do is lead by example.