• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is THE WORST Martial Arts Related Injury You Ever Had?

Tiger1962

I've been pretty lucky as I haven't been seriously injured in my time doing martial arts. I have gone through the basic minor injuries though, pulled hamstrings, twisted ankles, hyper extended joints.

The worst injury I've probably sustained is the damage I've done the the knuckles on my right hand from some board breaks, thankfully that's still not as bad as I've seen on others.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got a new one, It happen a little over a month ago. I was doing a round kick and came back up for a axe's kick and twisted my ankle that I had my weight on, I heard and felt a pop in my ankle and it hurt really bad and it swelled and about a week later it had all the pretty colors. Well it has been over a month since it happen it still bothers me bad at times so I had it x-ray last week it is not broken put I was told that I probably pulled or torn some tendons and it is just going to take time. I think this is the worse injury I have had so far and I have had a few, more than a few.

Funny, I'd say I just had my worst tonight! :lol:

Nothing major, I was catching a kid from the hanging bar after they were up there for maybe a minute, 5 year old medium sized girl...caught her...on my thumb. I heard it crack LOUD and felt the typical cracked knuckle pain. Next thing I know I'm on the ground with my instructor asking me if I'm alright.

Later on a kids father said I probably dislocated it and it popped right back in, first time I've ever had anything like it happen. He said if it happens again I'll be more prepared for the dizziness. :lol:

Iced it, it's wrapped now. It certainly hurts, I don't think I'll be doing much for the rest of this week. :(

March 29th is our Colgate tournament here in NY, I hope it's definitely much improved by then. Any tips? :P

Bummer.

Lot's of ice and lots of anti-inflammitory. If it's not substantially better in a couple of days, get it checked by an ortho. Normally, I'd give it longer, but if you've got a comp pending, best to find out sooner.

Assuming that nothing is broken and your ligiments are still substantially intact, then tape....lot's of tape.

Good luck.

Went to that massage therapist I mentioned for my arm, she started looking at it. It started coloring mildly as you continued, so said I better get and x-ray to be safe.

Turns out, nothing is broken. I was told breaks would heal faster than anything torn, so that's kind of a bummer in a way. :(

However, my therapist said that if she can get at it long enough one or two sessions with proper management on my part and it could be 100% before the tournament, so I'm still hopeful! :karate:

I was told breaks would heal faster than anything torn, so that's kind of a bummer in a way. :(

:karate:

That is what I was told. I look at person like you are joking with me and he was serious. Some one else said the same thing to me later on. :cry:

I kinda believe that. My torn ligaments & tendons, etc., seem to take forever to heal.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

I just got a new one, It happen a little over a month ago. I was doing a round kick and came back up for a axe's kick and twisted my ankle that I had my weight on, I heard and felt a pop in my ankle and it hurt really bad and it swelled and about a week later it had all the pretty colors. Well it has been over a month since it happen it still bothers me bad at times so I had it x-ray last week it is not broken put I was told that I probably pulled or torn some tendons and it is just going to take time. I think this is the worse injury I have had so far and I have had a few, more than a few.

I twisted my ankle when I tried to sidekick somebody who was coming in too fast. Almost four months have passed since the incident, but my ankle is still only 90% - can't do hard round kicks to pads without it hurting like crazy. :bawling:

I twisted my ankle when I tried to sidekick somebody who was coming in too fast. Almost four months have passed since the incident, but my ankle is still only 90% - can't do hard round kicks to pads without it hurting like crazy. :bawling:

Sorry to here that. I have been noticing it with kicking also and last night we did a lot of stance work and my ankle was bothering me. I could not get in my stance fully. :cry:

• 2 weeks later...

I've been fortuante enough to mostly not have any. But there is one I have to mention, and I'm actually pretty proud of it.

Within the first two weeks of my training, I was punching a pad and got cocky. I didn't land the punch right, and I can't even describe the angle I was at or the speed that it took to do this, but most of the skin on my knuckles litteraly ripped off.

Yeah... There was this: :o

Followed by a burning sensation like this: :kaioken:

Followed by this when my sensei wasn't looking: :bawling:

But then I was all like: :karate: Because by the next trainign session I just wrapped my hands in wraps, paid more attention to what I was doing, and kept at it. It still hurt but it healed well. Thats how I knew i had found something I really loved though because anything else with an injury liek that and I would have stopped doing it.

To preserve the enemies armies is best, to destroy their armies, second best.