• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is THE WORST Martial Arts Related Injury You Ever Had?

Tiger1962

...and / or list all martial arts related injuries you ever received since you began training. :bawling:

For me I'd have to say illiotibial tendonitis. When I had this, I could barely walk - it was PAINFUL !!!!!!!! :bawling:

Edited by Tiger1962
"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probibly the longest term was/is a fractured schaphoid bone in the wrist. It still bothers me to this day, even though I suffered it years ago. Granted, at the time I was competining regularly and didn't want to take the signifigant time off to recover from a surgery (over a year back then) on it so I elected to treat it with the inferior method of casting. Big mistake in hindsight.

As for a single time injury that healed and let me move on, it's have to be the three fractured rigbs I got during a brown belt test. That had be out for 4-6 months before I was back to the good stuff at any level.

The most inconvienant was a hairline fracture in my fibula just before a fight I was scheduled for. It got lit up in the first round when I checked a MT kick. I set it down an it buckled. Luckily, I fell into a takedown and was able to finish from the ground. Everyone kept congratulaing me on the takedown. My corner kept laughing becuse they knew what had happened. If I hadn't have been able to get him down it would have been over.

The one that change how I train the most was not nearly as serious as the others, but had the potential to be far worse. I took a cut while working with a live blade during knife training, even in a very controlled manner. Not a bad one, very minor in fact, but it was enough to give me an insight into "what am I doing?" It made me re-evaluate how far I was willing to take realism in some areas.

Those are the ones that stand out.

I'm lucky in that I've never really had a major injury. I was out for a couple of weeks once when I clashed my big toe with somebodys leg as we were both kicking (that taught me I should always pull my toes back properly or use the instep!). The docs didn't bother X-raying because not much they could do anyway but we think it was a fracture.

Sprained my ankle badly once when I landed on its side during burpees. This was like 10 mins into the class so stupidly I refused to sit out at carried on doing all the cardio work and sparring on it. Wasn't very good the next day.

"Almost" got knocked out once by my instructor. He did a spinning kick and I dodged the wrong way and landed the kick square between the eyes.

Other than that not had much happen apart from the usual bruises and dents.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Suffering at the moment unfortunately. Fractured a rib last week while rolling with a partner in bjj. Probably be out for about 6 weeks.

The one thing that has plagued me over the years has been my right knee. I have injured it on about 9 different occasions, 6 of those during martial arts training. Makes it hard to work for a week or so and even harder to train for a few weeks.

Looking at what some people go through though i think ive been fairly lucky so i just strap everything up and keep going.

I have suffer quit a few injures in my few years training. I think I have came to the conclusion that I am accident prone. I have had bruised ribs, a pulled tendon foot,a sprain ankle, a black eye, and inner muscle tear in my side which I would not think possible which I just got over, and now I suffer with a pull tendon in my big toe and that is just a few. Yes I have came to the conclusion that getting older is for the birds.

Tore a hamstring at the insertion point in the tush once-had trouble sitting for a while.....but the worst was getting kicked in the temple with a spinning hook kick while I was standing in line minding my own business waiting to kick the pads! I still have residual deficits from the concussion-nothing serious but irritating yet strangely amusing at times.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I broke a rib in a tournament. I heard a "osu" for point and put my hands up... and the guy evidently did not hear and punched me under my arm.

Ouch. I won that match... but couldn't do the final match and settled for 2nd.

I have had a few over the past few years. I thinks I can start with hyper extending my lower back when demostrating how to sprawl and the timing was off a fraction of a second. Hyper extended elbow twice from diffrent arm locks in competions. Broken ribs training for a fight. twisted knee, broke right hand. And the strangest to me was the soft squishy spot I had in my shin for about 3 or 4 weeks after checking a kick.