Favorites moves

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope- Koshinage is an aikido throw. If I were to pick out some bread and butter judo techniques Uchimata, Ogoshi, Osotogari, Ippon seionage would probably come up...but they aren't my best throws :P

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

As a defence, any form of Tai-sa-baki, but especially as a defence to a roundhouse kick, shifting in and sideways off line, catching the leg and dumping the opponent on the ground.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

im getting alot of round kicks. are these high, mids or lows? personally i cannot do a round kick for life. mine is so weak that is sad. prefer front kick more than the round kick. however i do like the low round to create an opening for a back sidekick

• 3 weeks later...

I'd have to say “reverse crescent kick”. Not as powerful, or as fast as other kicks, but it’s extremely deceptive. I use it when advancing OR withdrawing from a half-moon. I’ve surprised main higher ranks in sparring with that kick. :)

Blue Belt/Stripe in Shaolin Ch'uan Fa

5 Animals

Ju-Jitsu

"Be Hard as Earth, Fight like Fire, Move like the Wind, and Flow like Water"

im getting alot of round kicks. are these high, mids or lows? personally i cannot do a round kick for life. mine is so weak that is sad. prefer front kick more than the round kick. however i do like the low round to create an opening for a back sidekick

I started with round kicks that were about knee high--my own knee height and I'm 5'6"--and I've worked them up to upper thigh height.

If you're in a tournament, you won't get points for them, but I don't care. I've found that by not trying to go higher, and so losing power, even balance (imagine making contact and then falling down!), I go with the round kick that never goes higher than my sparring partner's thigh. If you want more power, don't bother doing it with the instep of the foot; put your lower shin into it. I think it was Tallgeese who observed that the shin is like a baseball bat. I do it against a WaveMaster for practice, and when I've kicked at where I'm strong, which is a low kick to others, but put my shin into it, I've been told it's a stronger roundhouse than with the instep.

BTW, when you do a roundhouse, are you turning the foot of your supporting leg as close to 180 degrees as possible? The more I try to have the heel of the foot of the supporting leg aim at the target, the more power I can generate.

Edit addition: If I roundhouse at about a 45 degree angle, what I'd need to make the kick faster and avoid (go "under") protective elbows, I can hit the ribcage. It can be done with instep or lower shin.

Edited by joesteph

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I sometimes fall into a pattern that will work out most of the time. I start with a basic jab and reverse punch, then a short pause to throw off the rhythm and then throw out a mid level round house to the ribs. It seems like that set up works almost every time for me.

You do not need to be flexible to do a Jodan (head kick), if your opponent is already on the ground.

I like kizami-zuki, meageri, kizami-zuki..or..Meageri, kizami-zuki, reverse punch..Just because i am better with punches and faster. I also like roundhouse because i am quite nimble and score a straight point to the head, i like to finnish that with uraken if the apponent isn't too tall.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk