• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gaining Balance

Ranpu

well, in the fittness area, I'm pretty good, but I realize, I have terrible balance, I cant do many things that involve balance, and advice on getting better balance?

Edited by Ranpu

I cannot prevent the wind from blowing, but I can adjust my sails to make it work for me

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Practice balance-based activities, like kicking slow, hopping or standing on one leg, and things like that. Use a timer, and try to do 15 seconds on one leg, then work up to 30, and so on.

Yoga is great to improve one's balance but you can take a couple poses from it to improve balance - such as any of the one-legged poses. If you go online and do a search for yoga poses you will find exactly what I'm talking about. :)

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

Practice balance-based activities, like kicking slow, hopping or standing on one leg, and things like that. Use a timer, and try to do 15 seconds on one leg, then work up to 30, and so on.

I agree with Bushido man here, something as simple as standing on one leg for a given amount of time can help, once you have this down try increasing the time or do it with your eyes closed( this is definitely harder). hope this helps. :karate:

Semper Fi , Dave

Also, sheer repetition will help this. If you haven't been in ma's for very long, you just haven't had the reps yet to start seeing improvement. It will come though.

This is one that you bend over with one leg behind you in the air (not way in the air when you bend over)and touch the floor with the opposite hand from the leg you are standing on and you go back and forth with each leg do it for reps. You can also do it with your eyes shut it is harder that way. Good luck I also suffer with a balance issue I am to easy to take down with sweeps and throws. :lol:

yea, I never had good balance, with me being slender and 6ft 1in, I have a high center of gravity so, I just move easy

Edited by Ranpu

I cannot prevent the wind from blowing, but I can adjust my sails to make it work for me

I agree more practice would help. Just doing exercises such as standing on one leg will help you to control your weight and balance better. If you have the cash you could buy a wobble board but you probably don't need it unless you really want v good balance.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I have been standing on one leg for 3 minutes each leg, I can tell my balance is increasing, thanks guys