• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Reports

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In our school, when the students test for their 1st dan, they have to write a short essay on what TKD means to them, how it has been important in their life, and what it means to receive their black belt.

We don't do this in our club...i think a written report is required further up the dan ranks...might check on that today with my sensei.

It's not a strict requirement to know the japanese terms but students have to have an understanding of them for gradings ect

I am trying to learn them myself as i have started teaching and i'm getting them mixed up...poor kids are getting confused hehe

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

We also have to write an essay for blackbelt. About once a year we have to write a report. last year we had to pick one martial artist and write about them.This year it was about the pros/cons of sport karate.

:karate:

Semper Fi , Dave

We have to write one for blackbelt on any aspect of TKD/martial arts. Don't have to do them any other time though. We do get asked questions in class so you still have to know your stuff.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I haven't heard anything like that, but, all I know is a few japanese words, begin, sparring, opponent, teacher, master, and 1-20, but I guess I'll need to learn more incase I join a MA that I need to do that for

I cannot prevent the wind from blowing, but I can adjust my sails to make it work for me

It's not a strict requirement to know the japanese terms but students have to have an understanding of them for gradings ect

This has been a problem for me, the learning of Korean terms for what I consider to be easily-translated English equivalents. A simple example would be "Ahneso Pahkuro Mahk Kee, Tuel Oh Kong Kyuk." It just means "middle block, reverse punch." It can really be confusing, that I'm translating, not thinking in the Korean language, when other, more complex, moves are called for. This is the problem I have when we do Ki Cho (basic) exercises, that the moves are called out in Korean, and I'm spending time trying to figure out what is being called out. In another art, there may be special reasons why the non-English term is used, but in a striking art, like Soo Bahk Do or Tae Kwon Do, I don't follow the need.

When I studied TKD years ago, all terms were in English, including as they were written in the book "Korean Karate" by Grandmaster Son. Knife hand, high block, roundhouse kick, etc.; it was all clear.

I have no objection to knowing the non-English terms, but I've simply made too many errors, then had to redo, repeatedly, not because I didn't know the moves, but because the translation was being processed in my head. Language, not MA ability, impedes me.

It would certainly be more efficient through clarity to have the commands called out in English. The true question to me is whether or not the moves can be done well, especially flowing one into the other, and so be effective, first in training, and then--if need be--in real life.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Joe,

I think that today learning the korean names for technique is strictly for historical reasons-to keep the art intact as much as possible. My current Master, whose 1st language is not English, feels as you do-it is too confusing-so everything is taught in English as it would be translated from the original. The result, in some cases, are names for techniques that are as long as the korean!!!! I am more of a traditionalist and therefore keep the Korean alive by occasionally teaching class in Korean so the students get exposed and hopefully it sparks and interest to study it on their own.

To answer the other question: We are required to write papers for each confirmed Black Belt rank and each level of Instructors Certification.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/