• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training Methods for Competition

marksmarkou

Apart from the actual martial arts themselves, what do you think is the best way to prepare for any type of martial arts competition. Is the traditional weights and running still up there as some of the best ways to get ready or has a new genertion of bodyweight circuit training become more effective. I have wrote an article about this and am wondering what peoples opinions on it are.

https://www.markstraining.com Fighting and Training Methods for Unarmed Martial Artists.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A well rounded conditioning program is pretty key to any competivite endevor. Pushin weights and running will always have a place and should be incoroportaed.

You'll need to do longer runs for general endurance, but don't for get sprint and interval training for your short term energy systems. You'll probibly want to periodize your weight training and tapier towards competition. There are pleny of sites and books that can help you with this (NSCA comes to mind).

That being said, there are some good programs out there designed to utilize functional exercises for overall fitness. These can then be tailored to fit into any trainng regimine or used in addition to other training. I'm a big fan of, and use extensively, the stuff on crossfit.com

Check the site out and I think you'll be impressed. Espically if you go thru a few weeks of the workouts, some look really easy but end up smoking you. I think there is some research on there as well to support their theory.

I'm far more cynical. The best way to prepare to win a martial arts competition is to understand the rules and what must be done within those rules to win. One only need look at Olympic TKD competition or modern tournament kata to see this approach in action. :(

Agreed, but I think that you can't underestimate the importance of good conditioning on the outcome of a fight.

Hypothetically, if you have two equally skilled fighters with radically different levels of conditioning, I'll take the more conditioned one every time.

Outside of the martial skills needed to compete, you can never go wrong with cardio and strength conditioning. Anyone is good for 30 seconds, past that the person in better shape has an ever increasing advantage.

Now, weights vs. body weight becomes a point of personal choice. Weights will generally have a faster effect on raising strength, and if you impliment a good program, muscular conditioning. Body weight work, with the right program, can build up a high degree of strength in a lot of the supplimental muscles and the core. This usually takes more time and discipline than weights though.

Edited by ShoriKid

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

I have to agree with tallgeese. Although you must prepare properly regarding to the specific martial art, a good conditioning program will definitly give you advantage over someone who does not have the conditioning.

https://www.markstraining.com Fighting and Training Methods for Unarmed Martial Artists.

I think that it is important to look at the kind of competition that you do, too. Olympic TKDers train in a lot more anaerobic ways to attain the ability to go in shorter bursts, but they don't neglect the aerobic aspect, either.

If you are going to fight in rounds, then you should do some of your training in rounds, too. Boxers train in rounds, as do TKDer's.

Things like sport specificity should tailor your training methods, too. If you also train on a "seasona" type of circuit, getting some periodization training would be of benefit, as well.

For me, training for competition is pretty straightforward. I just try to improve my endurance since almost everyone is nervous during competition and your breathing rhythm goes out of wack & before you know it, you're huffing and puffing.

The other which is pretty obvious is doing many repetitions of my form routine which I will be demonstrating at the competition. If I am sparring, then again, improving my endurance and adding to that would be practicing my sparring techiques to be faster and more precise.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

For me, training for competition is pretty straightforward. I just try to improve my endurance since almost everyone is nervous during competition and your breathing rhythm goes out of wack & before you know it, you're huffing and puffing.

The other which is pretty obvious is doing many repetitions of my form routine which I will be demonstrating at the competition. If I am sparring, then again, improving my endurance and adding to that would be practicing my sparring techiques to be faster and more precise.

Mine is pretty much the same here except that I work alot of off the line techniques, which I like to set back in weight but that helps me to be quicker and stay light on my feet I also drill my self defense routine I will practice it really slow like almost matrix speed except a little faster :lol: and the same with my kata, I will practice my kata with just my foot work and then add my hands the next time through. If your competing with kata practice it slow with your power, because when you get to the tournament nerves will be flying and the next thing you know you rushed through your kata and when you rush mistakes do happen. :karate:

That's true and a good point. I've noticed that when I perform my forms at a touch slower than normal at tournaments, it allows me to demonstrate the various moves more precisely and that's usually what the judges want to see, that you've executed each move, not just rush through them to finish.

Example, if you are throwing a kick, throw that kick with intent and chamber it back with intent.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert