• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

advice

Ranpu

well, my sensei had to close his dojo because family issues, and there is noone else around where I live to learn from, do you think it would be a good idea for his former students and me just train in a big group, so we can all stay in shape and spar, and that way if he starts up again, we'll be ready? I already excercise everday on my own, push-ups, sit-ups, crunches

Edited by Ranpu

I cannot prevent the wind from blowing, but I can adjust my sails to make it work for me

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sounds like a pretty good idea :) If you all want to do it, why not? Maybe one of the higher grades could even act as sensei for a while?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

[T]here is noone else around where I live to learn from, do you think it would be a good idea for his former students and me just train in a big group . . . and that way if he starts up again, we'll be ready?

I don't know how plausible it is that your instructor will be able to start up again soon, Ranpu, but I know that the way I first learned martial arts was by a friend--an Isshinryu green belt--who taught me the basic moves (no kata) and we sparred regularly. I should say that our age was that we were both in our thirties; if you're minors, I defer to your parents.

What was good was that I learned how to defend myself, and all our techniques were kept simple. It was pretty much kept to point-sparring, with restrained contact, and so we'd fight, hit, step back, fight--that way nothing was a slug-fest. Certain things were out-of-bounds, such as the use of the elbows or knees, it was punches only, and kicks were all above the belt. (Nowadays, the Muay Thai roundhouse to the thigh is acceptable--but not then.)

What was not good was that it took us too long to get safety equipment. The bare-knuckle approach we used was how he'd been taught, so we did the same--until we learned by experience that we needed mouthguards, as well as hand, foot, and shin protection, which we got in due time.

Do you know any kata? I don't know how advanced anyone in your group is, or what the emphasis was on kata. Never lose this knowledge that keeps you in training. I do kata, in my Korean form called hyungs, regularly. As it keeps me going in that I can't attend classes more than two days of the week due to adult responsibilities, it will keep you going in the art until you can find a qualified instructor again.

Don't be surprised if you find another martial art that you can take and that your Isshinryu experience strangely blends with. In the case of my friend and me, we wound up taking Taiji (Tai Chi) separately, his school more "martial" than mine, and we learned how to spar better, more smoothly, more redirection, even trapping.

What brought this to an end was that he married and started a family before I did, but I have no regrets at what we were doing.

Good luck to you and your friends, Ranpu.

:karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I was about to graduate to a yellow belt, all I know is the Seisan kata, also the group of friends, because we were already learning, we all have gloves a mouth gaurd and foot pads, the highest ranking that would be in the group is green belt

I cannot prevent the wind from blowing, but I can adjust my sails to make it work for me

I was about to graduate to a yellow belt, all I know is the Seisan kata . . .

Then continue to do it. It takes a few minutes of your time and will help you to focus. Don't do it quickly to get it over with; move steadily, smoothly, as you concentrate on stance, on breathing, on throwing your hip a bit into blocks and strikes . . . You get the picture.

ecause we were already learning, we all have gloves a mouth gaurd and foot pads . . .

Groin protection? Perhaps shin guards? Accidents (low blows) happen, and consider that a hard block against your unprotected lower leg is no fun to experience. Money is likely a concern, but some kind of face protection beyond the mouthpiece couldn't hurt.

Remember, too, that having safety equipment does not mean hit harder. There's a disclaimer on all safety equipment that it has its limitations.

[T]he highest ranking that would be in the group is green belt

That's the rank that trained/tutored me. Does the green belt have kata knowledge others lack? It doesn't have to be perfect knowledge of the form; it only has to be worthy of being practiced. To know a kata roughly and performing it as best you can is better than letting it go, practicing nothing. To know the first half of a kata, and perhaps getting a book that completes it, holds you over better than not practicing it and forgetting the half that was originally taught by an instructor.

Do you have a regular place to train? Regular meeting days and times? What age range are you and your friends? Would an adult be nearby in case of injury?

That last paragraph is just as important as anything said above it, Ranpu. You need a "dojo" with a schedule, and you need to have help available in case of injury, as you're dealing with a contact sport.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I would say like start a club with the other people int he group, and just go over everything that you all know and learn the most you can from one another. I would mostly look at it without the sparring unless their is someone in their Dan ranks that are able to observe, just in case. Because if your at each others houses doing this, and someone gets hurt, the person is under liabilty. So I would say find an open public place, like maybe the local Y for a day or two a week, or maybe you can use the park early in the morning. But I would stick with everything but the sparring.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

I'd say it's a good idea. It will help keep your skills sharp that you've learned and help you develop up to the skill level of the "instructor" that you have. You'll probibly help him get better as well.

It can be really rewarding. Some of my best training experiances are in someone's garage or basement or yard. Do be careful about contact, espically if your minors.

That being said, mitt work is great. As is training on the kicking shields. Movement drills. Whatever the sd movements you were specifically working at the school continue, again, with caution.

I'd also look into finding somewhere to continue learning. It's a different story if everyone there has studied for years, or you have someone who has in the group. That will keep the fresh material coming, as well as thetips to improve your game. Since everyone is a few years in at the most, finding another source might not be a bad idea.

I agree as well. Training with your group will be better then not doing anything. If anything, your basic skills should get better. When you start back to a class, things will be fresher in your mind, and you'll be ready to work.

well, what I have in mind is, we cover to basic exercises and learn just like in a regular dojo, without the amount of sparring, there will always be an adult watching, just to keep an eye over things, what I'm trying to think of now is a place to work as a "sub" dojo, everything else that you guys have gone over, I have thought about and I have solutions, thanks for advice and just so you know, the age group is 14-15, with one adult