• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wall as boxing bag?

GhostFighter

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is this wall made of plaster, stone, beams covered with sheetrock, GhostFighter? I'm asking because I used to have a long (combined two of them) makiwara board into a beam in the wall, with sheetrock all around. It was for various hand and forearm strikes, and the sheetrock cracked like mad from the vibrations.

I don't know that anyone will say to just go ahead; I injured a small bone in my palm heel, then learned how to hit w/o causing myself harm, but I didn't wear gloves. I saw a video on the "true" makiwara boards, and they all have some "give" to them, so the shock doesn't go into your bones.

I believe striking such a thing is for hand-toughening techniques, but not for power and technique in that the object has to give to punch "through" the target. You're smart in wanting a padding; if not on the wall, then gloves on your hands. But if it's a non-give surface, will the gloves simply become damaged from repeated use and afford you less--and eventually no--protection?

I'd advise against it, if only to protect your hands from being injured, damaged, and then you'll be unable to do martial arts for months.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Yes i dont have enough room to hang a boxing bag but i was thinking if i could hang a padding pad against the wall and hit it with gloves, surely that would improve the safety for my fist enough to train my punches for power?

Everyday is a fight

Yes i dont have enough room to hang a boxing bag but i was thinking if i could hang a padding pad against the wall and hit it with gloves, surely that would improve the safety for my fist enough to train my punches for power?

You can actually buy wall bags so I guess if you made something similar you could use the wall.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

A thick pillow comes to mind, cheap but effective?

Yeah that would work, although you might want to restuff it with something harder. Most wall bags get filled with stuff like sand, rice etc. depending on the level of hardness you want but even something like off cuts of cloth would work.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I've got a pair of homemade makiwara's that work great. It's still not the same as working a bag, and they excel at differnt drills, but they can be a good alternitive.

I took two, 2x4 about a foot to a foot and a half long. I went to Wal mart and bought a blue camping pad for around 5 bucks. Cut down two pieces of padding to fit on each (total of four). Then duct tape them to the wood. I left about two inches of wood showing at each end.

Now, mount one at head height and another around shin height. I just drilled into a stud and used lag screws. It's held up well even with pounding. You might want to go back now and pu t some scrap foam over the bolt heads with more tape. If you're a neat freak, you can scallop out one piece and cover it with a second form a better look.

Now you have a good striking surface with some give that will let you work technique and focus. It's great for folding strikes into and working stops and such lowline.

It should work out for you pretty well. I used scrap lumbar so my cost for duct tape and foam plus the bolts was around 12 buck. Add a 2x4 and you're probibly around 20 or slightly less for a great training tool.

Good luck.